sam

Comm port in use

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi,
I'm having a problem using GPSgate, most of the time it works fine but occasionally when I restart the PC it is creating the virtual COM ports I need (com 3 & Com 4) but the data from Com 1 is not getting through.

I had GPSgate running as a service, so I stopped the service and used the normal application. The application states that the COM port is in use. Nothing should be accessing the COM port if GPSgate is not running...

Didn't find anything like this in the FAQ, any ideas ?

Cheers,
Sam.

johan
GpsGate

RE: Comm port in use

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:53 pm

Is your GPS connected to COM1 during reboot? In that case Windows sometimes recognizes the GPS as a mouse pointer. It will in that case open COM1, and GpsGate will not be able to use it.

Here is how to solve that problem:
http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4131

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

richardhula

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:12 am

If the COM port GpsGate is configured to use as input is in use by another program, it won't output anything & icon will remain red. Check running GpsGate directly, not as service.

With nothing connected to this COM port (to your knowledge) try checking with HyperTerminal (Programs\Accessories\Communications). If that also says COM port is in use, that is your problem. I had similar situation under XP Pro. Suspect programs that have previously used that COM port, but which may have been terminated incorrectly. Try loading programs those programs until you find one that doesn't give COM port in use message, you have then found the culprit. Usually exiting the program normally or a re-boot will free it up. If its a USB derived COM port then just unplug & reconnect USB adaptor.

Good luck - Richard

sam

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:40 pm

I'll have a look at the device manager for a mouse - didn't notice one but thanks for the tip anyway.

<edited to remove misleading info> ;)

Thanks again,
Sam.

sam

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:44 pm

it was detecting a serial mouse at bootup - I've disabled the mouse and everything works fine now

this registry file will stop it on other PC's in future

REGEDIT
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sermouse]
"Start"=dword:00000004

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”