Note: for an updated version of this and other articles, we recommend you to check our knowledge base here
How to move users between applications
This is a guide on how to move a user or device from one application to another.
First of all make sure your server is up to date. All plugins should be "green" under SiteAdmin -> Plugins.
1. Login to SiteAdmin
2. Click on the application you want to move the user to.
3. Click on "Add Administrator" button.
4. Select "Add existing" radio button
5. Write a username and click "Search"
6. Select username in drop down, and click "Add"
7. Repeat from step 5 for all users you want to add.
8. Note! Scroll down do end of page and click "Save". Unless you click Save the users are not added.
You are now back at the list of applications. You should now login to the application you move the users to, and set the wanted Role.
9. Click on the login icon in the left column, select an administrator user and login.
10. Now in VehicleTracker search for your users in the search field above the vehicle list, or select a View that shows all users (the users you have added might not show up in your default View).
11. In the Vehicle list, right-click on the user you added in step 5 and select "Edit User"
12. Click on the "Roles" tab in the Edit User window.
13. Select the Roles you want the user to be in. Click Save. (Make similar to Tags if required).
14. Repeat from step 10 for each user you added.
Nice! You have now added the users to the new application and set the proper Roles and Tags. It is now time to remove the users from the old application.
GpsGate supports sharing users in multiple applications. If you skip the steps below, the user will be member of two applications. This can be useful when creating an "overview" application.
15. Login to the "old" application
16. Select "Users" from Admin menu.
17. Click on each user to remove and click Delete.
Note! The device type and device mapper can only be edited in the original application for each user. Event rules, reports and all other features will work fine in all applications the user is member of. You may have a different set of Event rules and Reports in each application (of course).
A useful feature in SiteAdmin to login "impersonated". In the application list in SiteAdmin click on the icon left to the name of the application, then select the username to login as. In this way you can verify that a user gets the proper experience when logged in.
Avoid error "Shared user can only be changed by himself/herself"
UserSync enables system administrators to define copy rules, which automates user copying between applications. http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/usersync_plugin