vitbars

2: Failed to create device

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:37 pm

Hi All,
I had subj when I tried to add virtual port on the evaluation version of GpsGate on PPC 2002 (GPS-receiver connected to COM1 port).
I've got a lot of efforts and attempts with different parameters: for example, add virtual port Com8 when Com1 is open and GPS-receiver connected to COM1 port or add virtual port Com8 when Com1 is closed or change COM1 port to COM7 port in registry and then add virtual port or use Direct mode and then try... Etc Etc
In one moment I did it. I didn't recognize how but I did.
Then I became a register user.

Now two weeks I only do - I try to repeat it. [:(!]
I use any combinations but all are unsuccessful now.
Help me pls.

johan
GpsGate

RE: 2: Failed to create device

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:37 pm

What model of Pocket PC are you using?

(Creating virtual ports is independent on what input port you use.)

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

vitbars

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:04 pm

Thanks for prompt reply.

I use some clone of Mitac Pocket PC - Rover PC5 - http://www.roverpc.ru/site/rpc/home.nsf/viewWebTechSpecsByCode/P005.
(I don't know exact model of Mitac).

GpsGate (trial version) were really working and I was happy.
I change nothing in environment after trial period finished just have bought licence and register the software.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

johan
GpsGate

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:34 pm

When the trial period expires, GpsGate's configuration is removed (sorry about that). Please try to remember how you configured GpsGate to start with and re-configure GpsGate that way.

The trial version and the licensed version are identical.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

vitbars

Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:05 pm

Input: COM port - Com7 (changed in registry from native Com1, because GpsGate doesn't work with Com1)
Output: Virtual port - Com1

Now this combination (and all possible ones) doesn't work. The only result is "2: Failed to create device" message.
What is the reason of this message? What device GpsGate failed to create and why?

johan
GpsGate

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:21 am

You should set the input to COM1 and output to COM7

Input: COM Port - COM1
Output: Virtual port - COM7

Then connect your GPS applications to COM7

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

gxzheng

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:33 am

Originally posted by vitbars

Input: COM port - Com7 (changed in registry from native Com1, because GpsGate doesn't work with Com1)
Output: Virtual port - Com1

Now this combination (and all possible ones) doesn't work. The only result is "2: Failed to create device" message.
What is the reason of this message? What device GpsGate failed to create and why?

i have the same problem! when add a virtual port(com7,my gps com is 6)£¬it displays "2: Failed to create device"¡£

mitchgibbs

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:14 pm

Just joining the chorus. I've got an Audiovox XV6600 and can't create a virtual port and, therefore, can't use GPSgate.

A fix would be greatly appreciated.

Mitch

Yaniv

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:48 pm

Hi,
I am facing the same issue and error.
My configuration is:

Toshiba e740 (Pocket PC 2002)
Holux GR-231
Toshiba BlueTooth stack

I can't seem to be able to create any vitual port no matter what the input COM port is.

Please help.
-- Yaniv

Yaniv

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:08 am

Sorry for double posting. But I found something you might all find useful. I actually got this to work :)
The program seems to function for me only when done in this order:
(IT IS VITAL FOR THE BLUETOOTH TO BE COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED BEFORE STARTING)
1. Soft-Reset device
2. Open GpsGate
3. Choose Input Port (in my case COM4)
4. Add Virtual Port (in my case COM7)
5. Connect BlueTooth device (in my case Toshiba Stack)
6. Connect to GPS serial bluetooth (in my case GR-231)
7. Open GPS Navigation Application (in my case Destinator PN 3)

It works fine for now.
I hope this helps anyone... and I also hope that the people at Franson make up a fix for this so I don't have to do all this procedure every time I want GPS :)

Jiheffe

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:31 pm

Same issue here, on a Pocket Loox 720.
Sometimes, when starting up, GPSGate shows no Virtual Ports configured. At this stage, there are two "variants" in behaviour:

"Variant" 1: The drop down list to select a virtual port correctly lists COM0 and COM7, the two available ports, but when I try to add one of them, I get message in subject.

"Variant" 2: The drop down list for virtual ports is desperately empty...

In both cases, I need to do a soft reset, after which I have to add both ports.

I have no clue when this happens... Somewhere in this forum I read that this would happen when GPSGate was not correctly closed, E.g. after a soft reset while it was running. I can assure you that it also happens to me when I've correctly shut down GPSGate.
This is frustrating and as I can't trust it, I've taken the habit to check if the ports are available before starting TTN5 or Ozi or so...

Version is registered.

JAL

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Hi,

I am using GPSGate successfully on WIN XP, but cannot make it work on Windows Mobile.

I am using COM1 for serial GPS input, which works fine for driving a single GPS program like Pocket Streets. However, GPSGate does not allow me to create any of the virtual ports available in the dropdown list. I get the error message:

2: Failed to create device

If I try one of the physical ports, the PPC freezes and I have to reset the unit.

Windows Mobile GPS Settings feature also does not work. The output ports are not recognized by the GPS programs (invalid port...).

Suggestions anyone? Many thanks in advance.

Jiheffe

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:48 am

I hate to do this, but as Franson support seems to be virtually nil, I have a solution for you: http://www.eltima.com/products/serial-splitter-ce.

For your info, I experienced exactly the same issues on my Pocket Loox 720 with WM2003SE. But most of the time, I could get it running after a couple of soft resets and reconfiguring GPS Gate. In January I broke my PDA and bought a new one, still a Pocket Loox 720. On that new machine, I NEVER got GPSGate to work.

Eltima Serial Splitter CE works differently, and for instance does not allow sharing of ports. But it allows you to free up unused ports and reuse them as vitual ones. It announces a feature to create up to 20 supplementary virtual ports COM0 to COM9 and VSP0 to VSP9. Of course, to make a COMx port virtual, it may not be assigned to a physical port.

Two issues however with Eltima: /2/ I can't find out how to use the VSP0 to VSP9 ports (their support says the software must be able to see them, but none of my softwares (TTN5, OziCE and GPSDash2) see them, and /2/ it's quite pricey.

But it works very well and I have junked GPSGate.

BTW, wondering if someone at Franson still reads this thread? Last time, someone from them posted here, was 7 months ago!

parksjsn

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:50 pm

Navizon http://www.navizon.com/ is a free application that tracks your current location and includes a virtual port emulator that works well on my Siemens SX66 with TomTom Navigator 5. I purchased GPSGate with my GPS and have not had anything but trouble with it. If I am lucky enough to create a virtual port, it is missing the next time I soft reset. This is true on 2003 se or Windows Mobile 2005. It seems funny that a company offering a free product can get it right and yet one that I actually paid for can not.....

johan
GpsGate

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:47 pm

To make sure GpsGate 1.10 saves its settings, please read this:
http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1419

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “GpsGate Client 1.10”