johan
GpsGate

Cleanup: Keep your database at a fixed size

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:50 am

We now have a "Cleanup" plugin which you can use to delete old data. The time period to keep data is set on site and application level.

In this way you can for example set one application to keep 6 months of history data, and another to keep 1 month, and the rest to keep the site setting which for example can be 1 year.

Another option is to let "premium accounts" keep a longer history.

After installation you actively need to enable Cleanup before any data will be deleted.

Here is more info:
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12719

It is a beta release.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

mti

RE: Cleanup: Keep your database at a fixed size

Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Dear Johan,
We understand that you cannot support all releases and that you all are focused on 3.0.

It would be anyway a lot appreciate if you could partially continue supporting 2.3.1 build 2076. For instance that "cleanup" feature would be really interesting.

Maybe that you can give simple development hints. Again, we don't expect full support on previous releases, but there are several reasons why we don't want to change to 3.0 (at least for now)

thanks
mti

johan
GpsGate

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 pm

The Cleanup plugin will only be released for 3.0

If there issues to upgrade to 3.0, list those issues and we will see what can be done.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

mti

Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Dear Johan,
we are simply waiting a little bit of maturity. I guess it is normal. I am neither complaining nor saying you did a buggy software. At the first installation we received a lot of false alarms (together with lot ad calls of customer) and we downgraded to 2.3.1. Less feature but I must say reliable.

I don’t expect you have the capability to maintain two lines of product. We are waiting to see the comments on the forum about 3.0 and when we will deem it stable enough we will move to 3.0.

Regards
mti

johan
GpsGate

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:12 pm

If you want us to address any problems you need to give exact error scenarios.

All mainstreams way of using GpsGate are covered by thousands of automatic tests. Those tests pass the same way in 2.3 as in 3.0

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

ggsgeek

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:44 pm

@mti: I think you can adopt 3.0 and migrate to this version. I have recently migrated and all features of 2.3 work perfectly fine. A very good thing about 3.0 is its auto-update capability which will save you from long hours of working on server :)

ggsgeek

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm

I installed this plugin. I see Cleanup option twice in the Settings and Applications panel.

mti

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm

gsgeek, and Johan:
is the update function "safe"? For instance: on one of the first releases the icons I setup (customization of the website) disappeared. How can I know (we use lot of plugins) whether we have to recompile or not?

ggsgeek, if I may ask, how many vehicles are you running?

johan
GpsGate

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Customizations which includes modification of files will be overwritten. To modify and replace files is not a "upgrade safe" method of integration, and not recommended. Where there are APIs, those should be used.

Any custom DLLs that runs in the NMEA Service or IIS process needs to be recompiled with the 3.0 assemblies. Once that is done, you will not need to recompile them again when you make plugin upgrades.

If you have made many customizations, in particular changed files, you will need to test to make sure things works as expected.

ScriptPlugins, protocol and SOAP integrations should work without modifications.

As a general guideline; if you use documented protocols and APIs for integration and do not overwrite files, you should be safe for upgrade.

Several of hundreds of GpsGate Servers in production have upgraded, so it is kind of safe.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

mti

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Johan, major concern is about icons and lang files.
We obviously didn't modify masters or aspx, that would be stupid.

We changed some of the images/icons (just to stay with the company image which should be coherent) and I don't even think we touched the css.

What about images and lang files?

thanks for your feedbacks
regards
mti

johan
GpsGate

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Take a backup of any custom file before using the Wizard to upgrade.

If you have renamed lang files, they will not be overwritten. You can fill in missing language keys after the upgrade.

Any icons you have copied into the installations folders will need to be reapplied again after upgrade.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

eastgear

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks Johan,

Finally this is out.

Originally posted by mti

Dear Johan,
We understand that you cannot support all releases and that you all are focused on 3.0.

It would be anyway a lot appreciate if you could partially continue supporting 2.3.1 build 2076. For instance that "cleanup" feature would be really interesting.

Maybe that you can give simple development hints. Again, we don't expect full support on previous releases, but there are several reasons why we don't want to change to 3.0 (at least for now)

thanks
mti

ggsgeek

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:28 pm

How do I get to to see if my database is cleaned up successfully ? I have been monitoring the database size and it is continuously increasing at the same speed as before ?

johan
GpsGate

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:25 pm

The new Terminal plugin allows you to peek into the Scheduler. I recommend that you start by upgrading that plugin. More info: http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12710

Now in SiteAdmin under System Tools -> Scheduled Tasks you can see if "Cleanup" is scheduled. If it is you know that and when this operation will run.

Under System Tools -> Queue Viewer you can search for _Cleanup commands. Those are the once that are executed to do the actual cleanup. By expanding the command in the search result, you can see which application, time period and operation which was made.

InnoDB, which is the MySQL database engine used by GpsGate will not shrink the database file, it will rather reuse space from deleted records to new inserted records.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

ggsgeek

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks Johan, I could locate the _Cleanup commands and found a way to review it. However, I do not observer the track-data being removed from the database. I have configured the application to keep the data for last 1 month and I can still see the tracks older than 1 months. My scheduler has run the cleanup 3 times in last 3 days. I'm using SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”