Note: for an updated version of this and other articles, we recommend you to check our knowledge base here
Requires GpsGate Server v2.3.1 build 2076 or later
This guide shows how to get a notification (by SMS or email or as an Alarm in VehicleTracker) if a tracking device has NOT been online during specified time interval. In this example, vehicles need to get going at 7AM each work day, and you will get an SMS notification if a vehicle has not started within 15 minutes.
You do this as an admistrator user by setting up an event rule in VehicleTracker:
1. Under the Admin menu, choose Event Rules.
2. Click "Add new Event Rule"
3. Enter a name (e.g. "Vehicle not online whithin 15 minutes of workday start")
4. Click Next
5. Select which vehicles this rule should apply to
6. Click Next
7. Specify the daily schedule when this rule should be active. In this example, it would be the start working hour plus some extra time interval large enough to cover the 15 minute check. Select "Activate on schedule" and specify "Active from" 06:00 "to" a bit later, say 06:20. Click the radio buttons for the days that should use this daily schedule, lets say in this example Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
8. From the drop down list, choose "Offline expression". A new drop down list will appear with the description "Time period since last connection to be considered as offline.".
9. In this example, we want to make sure that vehicles are started within 15 minutes of the work day start. Select "15 min" from the drop down list.
10. Make sure that the radiobutton "Immediate event" is selected.
11. Click Next
12. We want to get a notification by SMS when a vehicle has not been online during the period. Click the "+" button and choose SMS from the "Add notification" drop down list.
13. Choose recipients of the SMS in the "Recipients" drop down list.
14. Enter the message text of the SMS in the "Message" drop down list. In this example we want to include the name of the rule that triggered the event, the time of the event and the vehicle name that was not online. Do this by selecting from the "Insert variable" drop down list the values "Rule name", "Trigger time" and also "Vehicle name". Edit the text box so that the message looks like:
[RULE_NAME] at [EVENT_TIME]:
[USER_NAME] did not start workday within 15 minutes.
15. Click OK to close the Message text box.
16. Click Next.
17. Make sure there are no errors or warnings.
18. Click Save.
The recipients will now get an SMS when a vehicle has not been online within 15 minutes from the start of the working day.
Note. A prerequisite for sending SMS notifications is having SMS support for your application. You can get this by using your own Sms Proxy or by using GpsGate SMS http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7829. If you do not have SMS support, this example will work equally well just showing a regular Alarm in VehicleTracker.