prokein

how to create virtual serial port as COM1-4?

Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:27 am

Folks, I am using a rather old app that needs to receive its signal from the GPS via a lower COM port, 1 through 4, GpsGate creates virtual COM ports above that range. I am essentially using GpsGate as "middleware", it receives the signal via USB and sends it out to a serial port. Is there any way I can convince GpsGate to create a virtual serial port that's in the COM1-4 range?

johan
GpsGate

RE: how to create virtual serial port as COM1-4?

Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Yes, but you must make sure that any of the ports from 1 to 4 is free to use.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

prokein

Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Johan, thanks for your quick reply, good to see that you are still around, you were the one who answered my post on Coordtrans like 4 years ago. ;)

Anyway, how exactly can I create a COM port in the lower range? It seems like it automatically creates new ports starting with COM6. I don't have the setup in front of me right now and won't be able to check it for a couple of days, but it would still be good to know how exactly it actually works. Thanks in advance.

johan
GpsGate

Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Identify which drivers/hardware has occupied the lower COM port numbers. Do this using

Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT)

Then remove or disable some of the drivers/hardware using those COM ports.

And finally configure GpsGate to use the removed number for a Virtual COM port (output)

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

prokein

Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:39 pm

Thanks a bunch, I just tried this on the laptop I have with me and it worked fine to specify a lower COM port as output. However, it's still somewhat strange. For example, I was able to add COM1, for some reason my machine already has a COM2, but I did not have the choice to add the virtual COM port as COM3 or COM4. Those ports do not exist on my machine, yet they are not available as new Virtual COM ports in GpsGate.

wolfshadow

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 am

COM3 & COM4 may have been alloacted to something like an internal phone modem or some other device that has been connected to your laptop at some point in time (ie. I have com ports assigned to phone modem, blackberry, etc.). Not sure if that accounts for your issue.

richardhula

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:36 pm

<Those ports do not exist on my machine, yet they are not available as new Virtual COM ports in GpsGate.>

Most likely they were created by bluetooth device. They will not been seen in Device Manger until Bluetooth turned on, although the system has them permanently allocated through COM name arbiter entry.

See http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8062&SearchTerms=COM,name,arbiter for more info.

Richard

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”