johan
GpsGate

GUIDE: Live KML feed in Google Earth

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Note: for an updated version of this and other articles, we recommend you to check our knowledge base here

Guide: Live KML feed in Google Earth

Show your vehicles in real time in Google Earth using VehicleTrackers Live KML feed.

1) Create View

Login to your VehicleTracker application as administrator. Go to Admin > Views in the menu. Click on Add new View. Give you View a name and a description. You can create a View using different criteria as Sending, Connected, Offline and Never seen. You can also group vehicles using Tags. More information about Views and Tags can be found in the VehicleTracker manual here.

2) Save your View when you're done.

3) Create KML feed

In the VT application, make sure you have your new view in the dropdown menu located on top left of the page.
The KML icon, next to the dropdown menu, will now be visible. Click on the icon to open up the KML feed window.
kml_feed_image_001.png
kml_feed_image_001.png (33.73 KiB) Viewed 3686 times

After doing this, now have two options:
a) Copy the URL and past it into Google Earth.
b) Use the Save as button to download the KML file that you will open with Google Earth (recommended).

Google Earth will now open and pan to your vehicles. Information about every Vehicles is displayed in the Places panel.

sowmach

RE: GUIDE: Live KML feed in Google Earth

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:29 pm

I have noticed that the KML file expires after some time (hours i guess). I saved the file in my desktop for easier access but it stopped working after some hours.

How long does each file works? I would like it to be permanent unless the user decides to create new files with some button.

My point is, i have customers who wants to give access to their customers to track their vehicles, but most of them are not willing to buy a license for each customer, so my idea is to send them the KML file in order to track specific vehicles, but that won't work if the file expires without notice.

Regards,

johan
GpsGate

RE: GUIDE: Live KML feed in Google Earth

Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 pm

The KML file will not expire, there is something else wrong.

(Please post new questions in new topics.)

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

AgentBignose

Re: GUIDE: Live KML feed in Google Earth

Mon May 08, 2017 4:14 pm

I know its an old thread, but my KML Files do expire, too.

Is there a way to figure out why?

Also, in Google Earth only the current position is shown.

Is there a way to generate a .kml file that not only displays the most current position but also the driven track?

Thanks a lot!

Stefan

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”