SAE140

Lock-up during Shut-Down (sometimes)

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm running 2 GPS-related programs (CMAPECS and Tsunamis'99) simultaneously under Win98Lite on a ThinkPad 600, using GPSGate 1.10 to split the NMEA input data between 'em. GPSGate is working flawlessly under normal circumstances, including Suspend and Hibernation modes. (nice one !).

There is only one small irritation : if I attempt to ShutDown the machine with GPSGate still running, then 'under certain circumstances' the machine will lock-up, displaying an Illegal Operation warning - "page fault in Kernel32.dll" and so on - with the usual array of diagnostic data.

The lock-up circumstances are:
a) When no GPS-related programs are loaded, with the GPSGate icon either Red OR Green.
b) When running T'99 alone when the GPSGate icon = Red (Green = OK)
c) When the 2 programs are loaded in the order "Cmapecs THEN T'99" when the GPSGATE icon = Red. (Green icon = OK, as is when loading the programs in the reverse order).

Under all permutations, providing GPSGate is terminated BEFORE commencing Shutdown, this results in an uneventful powering-down.

So, a) does this sound like a badly-written serial port driver ?
b) Is there any means of closing/unloading GPSGate WITHOUT selecting the tray icon using the mouse - say, using a command-line from within a .bat file ?

'best, Colin

johan
GpsGate

RE: Lock-up during Shut-Down (sometimes)

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Please read this:
http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3788

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

SAE140

RE: Lock-up during Shut-Down (sometimes)

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Hello Johan,
I tried installing 2.01 (as per the content of your link) but received the following error message:
"GpsGateXP file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL: SH Get Special Folder Path A".
"Linked to missing export etc." is a message I tend to associate with non-compatability (?), so perhaps 2.01 and later won't work happily on WIN9X systems ?

However, I HAVE had success with installing and running version 2.00 - no hang-up problems to date despite several attempts to break the program with crash restarts.

Also - I have been able to run NemaTalker on the same box as my two Nav programs, by using 1x Virtual Com IN and 2x Virtual Com OUT.

Excellent program - many thanks, Colin

Return to “GpsGate Client 1.10”