GreekBoy

2D-Cartesian Grid for Europe

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the excellent GpsTools product. I mostly use it for conversions between different datum/grid systems. I am already a registered user.

I am new in the area and I have an urgent question:

I just started developing a fleet management software that, until now, has been intended for Greece and the GGRS87 Grid worked perfectly.

From now on, the software should be able to work on a paneuropean basis. Obviously, the GGRS87 Grid is no more accurate (shifts eastings or northings while in other countries).

Thus, I need a new Grid system that covers the whole Europe. Due to the nature of the calculations in the software, it should remain two dimensional (UTM_NORTH that additionally uses the zone would pose severe changes in the business logic). Moreover, I need to be able to calculate distances using pythagorean theorem for distances in different countries like I did using the Greek Grid System until now.

What kind of solution would you recommend for my problem?

Any answer is welcome and highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

johan
GpsGate

RE: 2D-Cartesian Grid for Europe

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:54 pm

For larger areas like whole Europe you cannot use a grid, and you cannot use Pythagorean theorem to calculate distances. This is because The Earth is a sphere and grids makes different kind of approximations to make it "flat".

You need to use a datum longitude/latitude. The best choice is WGS84. To calculate distances over a datum you use Great Circle Distance calculations. More info here:
http://franson.com/gpstools/reference_manual.asp?comp=tools&class=Position&item=Distance&platform=net

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

thomasv

RE: 2D-Cartesian Grid for Europe

Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:23 am

Hello GreekBoy,

i am trying to develop a pda application using GGRS87 maps.
i have worked previously with WGS84 with no problem.

Can you please advise me what i have to do to work with GGRS87. i create the maplib and i load it in the application but i cannot see it.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Thomas

Return to “GpsTools”