foxdie

Feature suggestion: GPS fix quality

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi all,

I have a suggestion if I may, but to illustrate it I have a bit of a background story;

Background

Imagine that you have a nice PDA phone that has built-in GPS (or access to an external GPS receiver) and you use it to show your position on a map, you use this service to let your friends and family see where you are so they don't keep phoning you up asking you where you are (yeah mom!)..

So you travel to work, service is working fine, people can see where you are, but then you walk into an office building and the quality of your GPS fix is low so your fix starts to drift around (skating).

The problem:

If you have a low quality GPS fix and:

* you tell your client to update every 5 / 10 / x seconds or whatever you still appear to be skating over the map

* you tell your client to update after moving 10 / 25 / x meters or whatever, your fix is so poor it will still trigger an update because it thinks you've moved 10 / 25 / x meters or more

* you tell your client to send everything then you phone bill and / or monthly data bundle gets used up very quickly.

The solution:

I would like either or both of the following features implemented for the GPSGate.com output plugin (in particular, HTTP method):

1. Add an option to only send update if the GPS fix quality (ie. by number of satellites and signal strength) is either low, medium or high (see below algorhythm suggestion)

and/or

2. In the submitted data include the quality of fix ie. &quality=2.3 in the HTTP requests so the remote server can decide whether to discard or apply your data

The algorhythm:

(number of satellites * average satellite signal strength)

3 satellites with an average signal strength of 25% = 0.75
6 satellites with an average signal strength of 40% = 2.4
9 satellites with an average signal strength of 60% = 5.4

Maybe consider 0-1 as low, 1-3 as medium, 3+ as high

Feel free to suggest other algorhythms folks, but hopefully you understand the point I'm trying to make ;)

Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt

johan
GpsGate

RE: Feature suggestion: GPS fix quality

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:59 am

Thnaks for your feedback! We do understand that a lot can be done when it comes to presentation of data of different level of quality. Features in this direction are on there way.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

foxdie

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Any news on this Johan? :)

Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt

johan
GpsGate

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:24 pm