Try this link in a normal browser:
http://localhost:12175/

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

SCTProject

RE: Get GPS position from a browser using javascript

Fri May 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for replying Johan, it was actually local admin issue on the PC.

JamesP

Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:48 am

Hi,

A quick heads up on Windows Mobile browser compatability.
WM6
Opera mobile 8.65 works fine
Opera mobile 9.7 beta - no longer appears to work (javascript error: GPSGate not installed or not started) - but it obvioulsy is as it works in 8.65

Also doesn't work in Pocket IE mobile or Skyfire.

Hopefully Opera will sort theri beta out - otherwise that seems to leave us without a mobile browser to use

Thanks

johan
GpsGate

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Please report this bug to Opera as well. Let us know if this bug remains after Opera's final release.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

JamesP

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 pm

OK - reported bug to Opera

P.S. Does something like SkyFire stand a chance of working - it claims to have full ajax and js support - but I suspect it may be doing most of that on remote servers - and compressing the reulting image to you (which presumably means it will never see the local server and hence the GPS position)

Think I've read that Microsoft are planning something similar

johan
GpsGate

Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:05 pm

The browser must support Axaj/Javascript locally on the browser for "GPS in Browser" to work.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

quantumhead

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Does not seem to work with any of the sites listed @ http://gpsgate.com/index.php?id=120. Im running IE8, firefox & chrome and java 1.6.0_17.

Take google maps. the gpsgage tool bar allows you to connect the page to gpsgate but wont jump to location etc. most other sites wont highlight the gpsgate toolbar & connect to gpsgate and if they do says sorry this site cant be used with gpsgate (no google map instance found)

You say above that the tool bar is not supported but your instructions say “Surf to any of the sites listed below and simply press the bookmark. The map will now center on your current GPS-position”.

The local test on 127. works a treat, the public page works a treat.

Im currently travelling the world and find gpsgate is great (there are other issues) but really would also like this feature for weather maps etc.

What i am trying to fig is, is it this laptop or is it the site?

Am I getting this all wrong?

Fredrik

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:25 pm

The gpsgate toolbar is a discontinued product. It is not the same as the bookmarklet solution.
Some of the sites listed might have changed since last update, please report a site that doesn't work anymore or suggest one you'd like to see supported.

If you are knowledgeable in JavaScript you could extend this yourself, see http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6102. For best control you should use the official API of the map-site you like to use and create a custom page (something like this, that you can run locally, http://gpsgate.com/demo/gpsinbrows2.html)

Regards,
Fredrik

Franson Support

ruty.helman

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Is it work also Tablet PC -windows xp??

Frankenstien

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:08 am

Hey all ... I am able to get Johan's Google Maps example page to show my GPS position, as well as Prefect's gmaps.php page, however, try as I might, I cannot get maps.google.com to trigger the GpsGate GUI permission prompt in order to report and display my position. Should it work w/o further tinkering?
Thanks, FFF

In every corporate organization, there will be an individual who knows everything that goes on at any given moment - this person MUST be fired immediately!

Frankenstien

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:32 am

bump ... Johan, before I upgrade to v2.6.0.365 (which I'm currently using under the 14-day trial), I'd like to know if the GPS in browser feature is going to work for me at maps.google.com ... thanks, FFF

Frankenstien

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:29 pm

bump ...

In every corporate organization, there will be an individual who knows everything that goes on at any given moment - this person MUST be fired immediately!

Fredrik

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 pm

The Gps in browser technology described here doesn't depend on Google maps.
Simply grab the position and then you are free to use it however you like. The examples linked in this thread uses it to plot a marker on a map, could have been Bing maps etc.
It will not automatically plot a position on http://maps.google.com if that is what you had in mind?

Regards,
Fredrik

Franson Support

Frankenstien

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey Fredrik ... thanks for addressing my inquiries ... yes, I did have auto-plotting of a position on maps.google.com in mind ... can that be accomplished by an end-user who doesn't have developer skills? I take it the examples linked in this thread make use of creating one's own web server to liase with the target mapping site (ie. maps.google.com) using javascript. If the same ends can be accomplished in some simpler fashion, any insights you could provide would be most welcome.
Thanks, FFF

Fredrik

Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

You could try this site: http://www.sysmaps.co.uk/
It has built in support for the GPS in browser technology and can display it on a bunch of different maps.

Regards,
Fredrik

Franson Support

Return to “GpsGate for Developers”