@Franson: Thanks for the cool "GPS in Browser" feature!
I made a small tech-demo for in-browser-navigation out of the google maps example. You can watch a video of the app here:
I always wanted to have a quick and easy reliable navigation tool on my CarPC. Now thats possible! And it works!
It is still under heavy development!
- GPS Gate with "GPS in Browser" activated
- GPS Receiver
- CarPC or Notebook in Car
- Some sort of online-connection (GSM/UMTS, WLAN...)
- A browser
I suggest google Chrome or better Iron (the same, only without the googe-sniffing stuff) because of the fast jscript implementation and the possibility to run the application in a separate fullscreen-window.
- Runs completely in browser with jscript, with live maps from google maps.
- Shows you position and heading on the map. The headings-arrow gets automatically rotated (that was hard work!)
- Shows Speed, Altitude etc. gps Data
- Shows the name of the street you are currently on. Display of house-numbers also supported! (uses google reverse-geocoding, not activated right now)
- Lets you navigate: click on the map and it will show you the fastest path from your current location to the place you clicked.
- Or: type in a location in the text-box and click "navigate". Also restaurant-names, only streetnames and so on can be navigated to (uses google location search)
- Auto-Pans map to display your location in center. Auto-Zooms map according to the speed you are driving.
- Tracks your path you have been driving.
- Displays google maps in full-screen with overlayed transparent controls.
- On-Screen keyboard and autocompletion for entering addresses in the navigation-textfield.
- Saving states, addresses and option-values in cookies
- get rid of the annoying "not transparent" heading-indicator. (the red arrow should be transparent, but imagemagick ****s up somehow. help please!)
btw: please don't steal the jscript code, just ask me if you want to use it or modify it by your own.
You can try it out here:
(Right now it is a pretty slow server that it is hosted on...)
Please give me feedback!
CarPC on RX-8