Machtl

Possible to move data to a new SQL Server?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi,

GpsGateServer is currently running on a Windows XP machine and is doing fine. But we though about moving the SQL Database onto a SynologyNAS with a SQL-Server running. So question, is it possible to move/switch to another database? Copying the database can be made via the same method than making a backup/restoring as it is found in the forum. But, where to set the new Database location within GpsGateServer?

Thx!

Ciao
Martin

johan
GpsGate

RE: Possible to move data to a new SQL Server?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:00 pm

To run GpsGate in production on Windows XP is a really bad idea. It is no longer supported by Microsoft. It is not a server OS. The version of IIS on XP is crap. It is not intended for other use than Office.

Backup and restore GpsGate Server
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13322

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Machtl

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:31 am

I know, but currently only a few vehicles are on the server. But, is there a way to connect GpsGate to a database other than the MySQL that was installed during the installation on the same machine? Or is this only possible during a new installation?

johan
GpsGate

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:29 am

You can change the ODBC settings under Windows Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> ODBC. Go to the System DNS tab and edit the GpsGateServer DNS.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Machtl

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:02 pm

ahhh... there it is. :-) Thx!!!

Machtl

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:56 pm

anyone here using gpsgateserver with a MariaDB database on a synology nas? how is the performance?

johan
GpsGate

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:06 pm

It is not supported.

Why make things so difficult ? :-)

Don't use an OS from the early stone age (Windows XP) which is not designed for server solutions.
Don't use databases that will not work.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Machtl

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:50 pm

MariaDB is 100% MySQL compatible, so it should work. Maybe i'll give it a try the next days.
I don't want to make things difficult, but the most important thing on the gpsgateserver is the database. So, i can run all on a machine and do a backup, install a raid, keep track on security updates, etc... or, maybe its easier to run the database on a nas with raid-hdd installed. I'am just thinking loud...

johan
GpsGate

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Yes, use RAID.
No, do not use MariaDB which is not supported.

Supported method for Backup and restore GpsGate Server
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13322

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Machtl

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Just to give an update:

I've played around today with Databases and Moving the current database onto a Synology NAS running MariaDB. -> works perfectly !!!

MariaDB is a 100% compatible MySQL5.5 Clone. I transfered the "gpsgateserver" database from the windows machine to the NAS and edited the ODBC entry. Works perfectly without any problems. Generating Reports, etc. tested... :-)

Cavaliers

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:22 am

Hi,

I am highly interested by running GpsGate server on Synology NAS (DS213+).
Can you help me by giving me more details on the installation procédure you used ?

Great thank you.

Machtl

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:11 pm

hi cavaliers,

gpsgate server can't run on the synology nas. what i tried last time was to let the mysql database running on the synology nas, instead of in windows. and thats possible.

but we're currently running the gpsgate server on a windows7pro machine here, with mysql also running on that machine. but doing a sql backup to the synology every few hours...

Machtl

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 pm

but if you consider on buying a ds415+ for example, i know that its possible to run a virtual windows machine on the nas directly. so maybe its possible to do it all on the nas.

a great step from the gpsgate guys would be to make a ready made docker(linux) image, that could be run on any machine that supports docker. but i think it is hard, because of the coding.

Return to “GpsGate for Developers”