MikeE

com0 virtual port and ComPort setting

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:51 am

I'm trying to use the GpsTools javascript demo on a symbolmc70 running windows mobile5 where the gps settings in control panel show com0 as the port programs are supposed to connect to, although the actual hardware port is com8 at 57600.
When I run the web page it scans the com ports and I have to click cancel 3 times on a dialog box where it looks like it is trying to open a bluetooth com port. Then it seems to connect and in the check GPS window it shows com0 at 4800.
I tried forcing it to use com0 using the ComPort = 0 setting, but that seems to still tell it to scan the ports.
Is there a way to force it to use com0 without scanning other ports?
(I did try using ComPort=8 and baud=0 and then it connects and shows com8 at 57600, however that setting seems more 'fragile' ie I can try connecting and it will fail a few times before it connects again.)

Thanks,
Mike

MikeE

RE: com0 virtual port and ComPort setting

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 am

Just an update, at this time I'm connecting at the hardware port 8 at the hardware baud 57600 and have put the opening of the port and the querying of the position in loops that keep going until they get successful data. This seems to work for us. This is using a modified version of the javascript sample where we also create the object and initialize it within a single function together with the data queries. Then close the port and set the object to null. This seems to avoid the problem of locking the port due to IE continuously running in the background on the pocketpc.... the next task is to try to integrate it with an app written in asp.net.

Return to “GpsTools”