Sean

What size file can the maplib cope with?

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:39 pm

Hi there,

I have a number of images that need to be "joined" up to become a single map. My query is:

1) What size images can the Studio deal with?
2) What effect on accessing the generated maplib does this have?

Thanks,

Sean

johan
GpsGate

RE: What size file can the maplib cope with?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:56 pm

In 2.3 the image must fit in your computers memory to be converted to MapLib.

Once you have converted the image to a MapLib, you can handle files that in compressed form is maximum 4GB in size. Very large MapLibs will also take some time to open the first time they are accessed, when GpsTools makes an index of its contents. This is not problem on desktop but can take some time on Pocket PC.

Here are some things to consider:

1. Rather than assembling hundreds of maps into one single MapLib, split them into several MapLibs and load them at run-time using Map.Merge() This is necessary on Pocket PC, and when the MapLib file size exceeds 4GB.

2. Rather than assembling many raster images to one gigantic map, divide them to several maps that has overlapping edges, then use Map.ActiveMapData() at runtime to switch between the maps. The user will not notice the switch. This is importaint when you are dealing with very large single images, that doesn't fit into memory at development time. (At run time the algorithm for loading is much more clever).

We are currently working on an update for Studio that can import images of any size.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Explorer2000

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:50 pm

HEllo johan,
Thank you for information.I am sure this information will help many of the MAplib Questions.Even currenlty supported size of max 4GB is enough for any application.I am happy to hear "We are currently working on an update for Studio that can import images of any size."
keep it up..

Explorer

Explorer2000

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:52 pm

Hello Johan,
the next feature i like in future release of gpstools is to add some type of protection to maplib file.
thank you

Explorer

johan
GpsGate

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:09 pm

We'll consider encryption in coming versions of GpsTools.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “GpsTools”