trondhindenes

how to get max speed from GPS?

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:42 am

Hi,
I'm testing GPSTools, planning to use it for a real-time tracking project i'm playing with.

Since this will be real-time, I need to get data from my connected GPS unit as often as possible.

I have tried playing with the EventInterval setting, but whatever I set it to, it seems like GPS data only refreshes about every 2 seconds.

I am using a Garmin GPSmap 60cx, using the Garmin Spanner application to present NMEA data on a COM port. Im just wondering if it might be the GPS/SPanner and not the app itself that gives me this low performance?

If anyone of you have info on how often I should expect data to update it would be great. I would absolutely buy a new GPS (with a native NMEA interface) if that's the reason I'm struggling.

any pointers appreciated!

best regards,
Trond Hindenes

bbulla

RE: how to get max speed from GPS?

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Check out NmeaParser.EventInterval in the Reference Manual. It's probably that your Garmin is only transmitting the data every two seconds, but you should check with the owners manual or the Garmin website to be sure. GPSTools can be adjusted to check as often as you want using the .EventInterval method.

Brian

trondhindenes

RE: how to get max speed from GPS?

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Originally posted by bbulla

Check out NmeaParser.EventInterval in the Reference Manual.

Thanks. I have tried the setting, but it doesn't change the update frequency. I'm guesing it's either the GPS itself or the spanner software that converts garmin data to NMEA. Will try the GPSGate and see if that speeds things up.

Return to “GpsTools”