andy_mort

Austrian M31 coordinate system

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am

Hi,
I've had CoordTrans v2.30 for a little while and have found it extremely useful. There are a couple of things I need help with however. The other day
I tried to obtain geographic coordinates for some X-Y locations in Austria which apparently refer to the Austrian M31 coordinate system. However,
CoordTrans consistently plots these locations in West Africa (Cameroon-Gabon border). Here is the first example
X=463780
Y=268630
I've checked all the M31 parameters in Coordtrans and they appear to be correct -can anyone tell me why it's not working? (I'm a GIS newbie as is probably obvious).

johan
GpsGate

RE: Austrian M31 coordinate system

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:06 pm

The "Y" (northing) coordinate is wrong. If you add a "5" in front you do end up in Austria - 5268630

I don't know for sure if you should add exactly 5000000, but I can say for sure the Y value is too small. You need to check your source.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

andy_mort

RE: Austrian M31 coordinate system

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks Johan,

The reason I asked was that I have similar coordinates in a separate paper by the same authors so it's likely to be a genetic error. I'll write to the authors and clarify that.
I have maps that I can visually check the coordinates with anyway (see references below).

Rantitsch, G., Rainer, T., (2003) Thermal modeling of Carboniferous to Triassic sediments of the Kara****en Range (Southern Alps) as a tool for paleogeographic reconstructions in the Alpine-Dinaridic-Pannonian realm. International Journal of Earth Sciences, 92(2), 195-209.

Rantitsch, G., Russegger, B., (2005) Organic maturation within the Central Northern Calcareous Alps (Eastern Alps) Austrian Journal of Earth Sciences, 98, 68-76.

Your help is much appreciated

Andy

Return to “CoordTrans”