schimanski

Problem with virtual serial ports

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Hello!

I have a problem with the virtual serial ports.

With the SerialTools (.NET Compact Framework 2.0), I have created a Basic4ppc-application that init two virtual serial ports and send the data between them like a nullmodem-function. It runs very fine on my QTek S200 with the ports COM7 and COM8. Now, I want to use it on my new Pocket-PC, a VPA Compact GPS with GPS-Chip. It is not possible to build two virtual serial ports, but with GPS Gate 2.6, I can init COM2 and COM4. Why is GPS Gate able to create two virtual serial ports and Serial Tools doesn't with the same ports?

Thanks for answer...

m.f.G.

schimanski

johan
GpsGate

RE: Problem with virtual serial ports

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Please read this:
http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4995

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

schimanski

Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks for the quick answer!

But I have some more questions: Is it nessassary to copy the VPortBoot.exe to the Windows/Setup or can I copy it in the autostart-folder. Another Idea is to start the tool out of my application every time, when I try to create virtual ports?

What are the differens between the three versions of VPortBoot. I have used the Version from the arm-folder, but it doesn't works every time. Sometimes, I have to restart the device before creating the virtual ports.

Thanks a lot and greetings from germany...

m.f.G.

schimanski

johan
GpsGate

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:34 pm

You need to run VPortBoot.exe after each soft reset of the device. What it does is to try to install the driver before "driver memory" gets full. Sometimes this procedure may fail, because other system drivers got to execute first. In those cases you need to reboot again.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “SerialTools”