aladas

Serial Tools Active X and MS Access 2k

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi there. Completely new to the site and Franson.
I am a formerly competent programmer in Access VB and was accustomed to using methods from the libraries. I am having trouble getting started on Serial Tools from what early searches show me on the forum reveal because they expect a more formal expertise than I have got. What I would like to find would be a really simple-minded Access application which worked and which I could then pull apart so as to understand it and modify it for my own purposes till I am competent to write forms and procedures for my own purposes.

My longterm goals in this relate to controlling a microprocessr robot, but for the moment I would like to read a Bluetooth GPS unit into the Access form, where I would parse the sentences and stuff, but that is just a learning exercise as it offers an easy supply of data stream.

This is the post which told me I was in the right place but out of my depth.
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1445&SearchTerms=Act ... erialtools
TOPIC_ID=1445

Thanks

Andreas

johan
GpsGate

RE: Serial Tools Active X and MS Access 2k

Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am

You can program VB in Access. Take a look at the Visual Basci 6 (ActiveX) samples in the SDK to start with.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

aladas

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:26 pm

Dear Johan
Thanks for this. I had and have now again looked at the examples. The code seems familiar but I have no tool to get the forms into Access. Can you lay your hands on an Access form that someone has already incorporated the code into? Or can you give any tips on doing it manually myself? I am just not familiar with the Visual Basic product, even though within Access (2000) I use the language.

Andreas

johan
GpsGate

Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:33 pm

The programming language in Access is Visual Basic.

Maybe you should try a beginners book of some kind for how to program Visual Basic in Access.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

aladas

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Dear Johan
Sorry to be a pain on this. Perhaps you don't know the ways in which Access the product is different from Visual Basic the product. I am aware that they use the same language, but Access does not use frm files. Everything is bundled up within mdb files. On Access and the visual basic language I am not a beginner and if I could find a beginners book on how to get forms from Visual Basic (product) into Access (the product) I would buy it. The appeal to me of your serial product is that in theory I can use it in Access without buying or learning the rest of VB the product. I will try by studying the VB form to deduce a way of replicating its behaviour and components and the properties and methods of each, but I would really appreciate a short cut.

Andreas

aladas

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Dear Johan
I have tried to incorporate the coded from event\form1.frm into a form in Access 2000. Indeed I have succeeded, but I still have some hiccups, starting with this on loading the form:
Run-time error '-2147211503(80042711)':
License key is invalid. Please visit http://franson.biz/serialtools

The key in the code is this -
objLicense.LicenseKey = "HrU26f0nXoKXoHssst5am2mRirUGKRwZHvU8"

I had intended to send you the mdb file I created so you could look at it if you have any way of looking at Access files, but I see there is no attachments facility in your forum software. If there is any chance you could glance at it I will send it as an email, but I don't like to do that without your OK.

When I ask Access to compile the full code I am getting a syntax error saying "method or data member unknown" at

Private Sub bStart_Click()
On Error GoTo err_handler

objPort.BaudRate = ddBaudrate.List(ddBaudrate.ListIndex)
--------------------------------->This point

Are you sure you do not know anyone who has actually done the conversion of the VB forms into Access so you could send it? Am I the only one?
Best regards -

Andreas

Return to “SerialTools”