ryosweb

USB to Serial Adapter

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:58 pm

I use PL-2303 USB to Serial Adapter to connect a Mettler Toledo PS series scale.
When I run .NET Framework 1.1 & 1.0 Sample (Franson\SerialTools SDK\dotNet\C#\Sample1), it always shows "Timeout" after I click 'start'.
In this forum, it shows 'If you have a USB to serial port adapter, then SerialTools will support it.', do I need to do other settings or something?

Thanks.

johan
GpsGate

RE: USB to Serial Adapter

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:18 pm

I guess there is no data coming in. Read the reference manual:
http://franson.com/serialtools/reference_manual.asp?comp=serial&class=Port&item=OnRead&platform=net

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

hellerim

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:21 pm

I have a similar problem. I'm using USB Serial Cables (by Inline) with PL-2303 interface, and these are contained in the port list. However, when trying to open them the error messsage is "port does not exist". Is there a solution to this problem?

johan
GpsGate

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Make sure you set Port.ComPort to the number of the port you want to connect to. If you want to open COM1 you set it to 1

More information here:
http://franson.com/serialtools/reference_manual.asp?comp=serial&class=Port&item=ComPort&platform=net

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

hellerim

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:21 am

I was using one of the sample applications (that is, I selected the port from the form's drop down list) which should do the right thing automatically - I don't see what could be done better by the code I write myself.

johan
GpsGate

Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:49 am

If you want to understand the cause of things, you investigate it and solve it. If not, then you stop at earliest convenience.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

clinkerman32

Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:00 pm

I use a device with PL2303 drivers too.
Make sure you have the correct Com port number.
When you plug these into different USB sockets you get a new number.
Here's how...(XP)

Right click My Computer and select 'Manage'
Select Device Manager from left column
Now in the right column click the [+] at the side of Ports.

If no COM ports exist (and the adaptor is plugged in) the you have not got the drivers in correct.

HTH
clinkerman

hellerim

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:33 pm

What do you mean by that?

May be it is difficult to understand and I should make my intentions clear: I implemented a program using Microsoft's .Net Framework 2.0, System.IO.Ports.SerialPort. I was able to access any kind of serial ports; virtual ones from Eltima, USB-to-Serial Adapters from Prolific, and physical serial ports. However, there is a nasty bug in the implementation: Closing a port which was accessed by a thread different from the manin thread raises an uncatchable exception.

That is why I'm evaluating Franson Serial Tools. My options are to implement the functionality I need on my own, or to purchase a third-party product. If I do the latter, then it is to solve a problem, not to introduce new ones.

Can you understand that I'm irritated by your reply?

Originally posted by johan

If you want to understand the cause of things, you investigate it and solve it. If not, then you stop at earliest convenience.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “SerialTools”