derelaut

Virtual Serial Port in Windows 7 x64

Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi,

Our product uses SerialTools to create a virtual serial port. A customer pointed out that he's unable to create a virtual serial port on his Windows 7 64-bit PC. Further inspection showed that an exception occurs, stating, "Failed to Create Virtual Serial Port"

Our software installs on a PC, placing the bizVSerialInt.sys driver in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and a couple other dll's in a relative folder.

I installed GPSGate and that seemed to fix the problem. But this can't be a solution to our customers. Is there a new driver or dll that gets replaced after the GPSGate installation that our software should be using and placing instead?

Thanks,

Derek Lautenschlager

johan
GpsGate

RE: Virtual Serial Port in Windows 7 x64

Wed May 09, 2012 1:12 am

SerialTools does not support x64.

SerialTools is a discontinued product.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

derelaut

Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Yes, but is there a work around for this? GPSGate isn't discontinued. Whatever this product is installing and where it's installing it is making our product work (built as an x86 target program).

Does the driver need to be more properly installed? i.e., make a reference to it in a registry? What does GPSGate do when it installs this driver? Maybe I should post this in a GPSGate forum?

derelaut

Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Here's some more info:

I found out that I wasn't running the Install() function from the bizvserialinstallnt.dll. I set that up in my installation project and the installer failed when it runs both Install() and InstallSilent(). The installation will work without that Custom Action, but then I can't set up a VPort.

Then I installed GPSGate Client (v2.6.0.402) and ran through the installation with the Custom Action to InstallSilent() and sure enough, it works! So, now I can more specifically ask, what does InstallSilent() or Install() from the bizvserialinstallnt.dll use that an installation of GPSGate Client provides?

Return to “SerialTools”