SwanB

SerialTools on Windows 7 x64

Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 am

Hello,

We have been using the SerialTools previously with great success. As most of our clients are moving to 64 bits computing when upgrading to Windows 7, we are looking into using SerialTools on Windows 7 64 bits.

What is the current status of SerialTools on this platform ?

Regards,

SwanB

johan
GpsGate

RE: SerialTools on Windows 7 x64

Mon May 10, 2010 1:27 pm

There is no further development of SerialTools planned.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

SwanB

Mon May 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Originally posted by SwanB

[quote]Originally posted by SwanB

[quote]Originally posted by johan

There is no further development of SerialTools planned.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Hello Johan,

thank you for prompt and frank reply.

Despite previously being very happy with product quality and support(fabulous!!), we now feel left in the dark.

What will be your recommendation regarding the migration path forward ?
(we are using the component from web browser and are also considering using the component in Silverlight 4).

(We are a little uneasy in reprogramming our current solutions.)

Best Regards,

Swan B

treblent

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Hello Johan,

thank you for prompt and frank reply.

Despite previously being very happy with product quality and support(fabulous!!), we now feel left in the dark.

What will be your recommendation regarding the migration path forward ?
(we are using the component from web browser and are also considering using the component in Silverlight 4).

(We are a little uneasy in reprogramming our current solutions.)

Best Regards,

Swan B

As amazingly helpful as it is to be told that the SerialTools I bought a few months ago doesn't actually work on a currently released maintstream OS (would've been nice to have known this before buying), I have found a work around of sorts.

In Visual Studio (assuming you're using it), set the current solution platform to x84 (as opposed to x64 or ANYCPU). If it's not in your list, create a new solution platform for x86 based on ANYCPU.

When you run your application in 64-bit Windows, it will be hosted in WoW64 and to all intents and purposes, your program will think it's running under 32-bit and the SerialTools will work, or at least, are working for me.

Hope that helps,
Matt

jonespm

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 am

Hi Guys,

I came across this topic after changing my laptop to 64bit and had problems with compiling an app that uses Serial Tools. I'm using VS2010 under Windows 7. Anyway the problem turned out to be I had forgotten to load Serial Tools - once I did that all was ok.

The Solution has its Platform configured as: Active (Mixed Platform) and all the Projects are configued as Any CPU.

However our installation project's property of Target Platform is: x86. We needed this because we use Advantech PLC's and, as yet, they don't support 64 bit OS's. That being said the app installs ok on 32 bit hardware running Windows Server 2008 and, as best as we can see, the serial IO works just fine.

Our target hardware (which we haven't tried it on yet) is 64 bit but still installed with Windows Server 2008 x86 SP2. Fingers crossed that it still works on 64 bit hardware (running Server x86) - do you think it will?

Cheers, Peter

oxcarz

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 am

yay Matt! your x86 platform compile worked for me. I doubt anyone at Franson will acknowlege your awesome work-around, much less thank you, so:

Thanks MATT!

SwanB

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Would you please consider to change the target platform for Serial Tools to x64 and do a recompile ?

Best regards,

Swan B

bruceb33

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Interestingly SerialTools would not install on my Win-7 x64 machine. The install finished with an error message (didn't write it down unfortunately) something like "127: Unable to load driver".

After much seaching I found a suggestion in another Franson forum (TOPIC_ID=11042) which led me to install another Franson product GpsGate which does have x64 support.

After installing GpsGate then straight away uninstalling it (I didn't copy the dll as that forum suggests) and then installing SerialTools (I had previously uninstalled it) I found that it then installed fine (and then worked from Visual Studio [following Matt's advice to change to x86]).

I must say that I find Franson's abandoning of this product and their customers who use it rather poor - especially when there seems to be a simple solution to the main problems that people are having.

In several places in Franson's website (including their homepage) it tells you what a good product SerialTools is and encourages you to "Purchase now!". In only one place does it say "SerialTools is no longer maintained and it is not recommended for new projects" and this preceeds the text "NEW SerialTools 2.0 introduces...". When I looked at that page I took the "no longer maintained" to refer to the previous version - given especially that Franson still sell the product.

Despite having got SerialTools working in x64 I have decided to purchase another product and migrate to that (fortunately I only have one product on one machine). This is partly due to the product being discontinued, but also because I have come across a bug (I will post a separate entry for that).

Hope this is of assistance to someone.

paulmelliott

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:03 am

Bruce, what is this other product? I've been trying to use the native .NET "Serial" object with VisualStudio 2010, and it works fine, until someone unplugs the serial/USB adaptor, or shuts down the connected virtual port. Then it fails very ungracefully.

I would like to find a robust solution for serial ports, and for virtual ports.

By the way, has anyone figured out how to make ActiveX SerialTools work with .NET C#? I've got it half-way running, but can't figure out how to make the events work.

If Franson would support SerialTools I would buy the .NET version.

Thanks,
Paul

bruceb33

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:12 pm

Paul, I won't mention the other product by name here, but if you google on 'virtual serial port control' you will find it at the top of the results. I haven't tried this other product. It looks well supported and they sell other related products which is a good sign. They state that they support Win-7 x64.

However it is a lot more expensive than Franson's SerialTools. The reason it is more expensive is they sell (this particular product) only as an OEM licence. SerialTools and this other product are the only virtual serial port products I have been able to find that integrate into a programming language. So there is a real market here for Franson as they sell their product as individual licences which much better suits small to medium scale development.

Hope this helps

Bruce

ecsmith62

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:15 am

Originally posted by bruceb33

However it is a lot more expensive than Franson's SerialTools. The reason it is more expensive is they sell (this particular product) only as an OEM licence. SerialTools and this other product are the

I just had a look at the product I think you are talking about, and it does have individual licensing if you select the purchase option on the product page instead of from the top menu bar. The problem is that the individual/small volume license fee is even higher than the Franson license fee, which is very high already for an application which I was writing to give away to ham hobbyists.
Even if the Franson product worked with Win 7 64bit, it would be cost prohibitive to use unless you have significant volumes for a commercial application, and the other product is an order of magnitude more expensive for volume/oem licenses.

Return to “SerialTools”