glennd

Web Hosting and Programming Questions

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Hello,

I have purchased a GpsGate Server starter pack.

I would like to do a shared server installation, the problem I’m having is I’m not sure of which web services are needed by GpsGate Server.

I have read the posts in the GPSGate Server Knowledge base on how to setup an installation; I’ve read the shared server install, install with Plesk control panel and the H-Sphere control panel.

In all three shared installs these components are all required:

IIS6.0

ASP.NET 2.0

MySQL 4.1-5.0 with ODBC 3.51 connector

Is this correct?

I have found a web host provider, and was told by them when I inquired that yes they do support all three.

Would it be possible for you to take a look at the web hosts site and tell me for sure that your software would be supported?

The hosts address is http://www.3essentials.com/windows-web-hosting.asp

I’m looking at the Essentials plan, it appears to me that this should be sufficient, but what about the 100mb MySql DB? How much will this limit me? I’m also looking at installing TrackStore. I’m thinking I will probably have 10 -15 vehicles that will need tracked and 2-3 users that will access the application.

About how many users of the system/vehicles tracked do you think could be supported by this option? Or should I seek out a host that allows a larger DB?

I’m in the US can you suggest a better web host?

Here is a different set of questions:

I’m very new to programming as well as web based applications. What languages will I need to learn to fully utilize your application? What do you recommend that I spend most of my time learning about? I come from a strong networking/windows support background, just have little programming skills. Any suggestions you can make would be greatly appreciated.

johan
GpsGate

RE: Web Hosting and Programming Questions

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:05 pm

Given the specifications it should work. Our recommendation is jodohost.com (were we run our tests). Maybe you should not select the bottom cheapest solution, since cheap often means bad performance.

GpsGate Server 1.3 consumes about 200 bytes DB space per position report. From that you can calculate your requirements. This may change in coming versions of GpsGate Server.

Also note that only devices/clients that supports position position data over HTTP are supported by a shared installation. Many devices will not support this. GpsGate Mobile (Java) will not support this. GpsGate Client for Windows & Pocket PC support HTTP.

You should be able to setup GpsGate Server without any programming skills, but some general computer admin skills can always be handy. If you plan to customize your solution, what you need to learn will depend on what you want to do. Post specific questions to this forum, and we'll try to answer them.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

glennd

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:03 pm

"GpsGate Server 1.3 consumes about 200 bytes DB space per position report. From that you can calculate your requirements. This may change in coming versions of GpsGate Server."

Thanks for this information, you provided me the info that was needed. I'm guessing that this may change to a lower byte value in the future? What about trackstore? or is this figured into the 200 bytes.

"Also note that only devices/clients that supports position position data over HTTP are supported by a shared installation. Many devices will not support this. GpsGate Mobile (Java) will not support this. GpsGate Client for Windows & Pocket PC support HTTP."

The units that I'm looking to track are Parallel Track Trackbox, Tracker II and possible Telit units. If I'm not mistaken all the listed units will communicate via HTTP. The only one I'm unsure of is the Telit, I know it communicates via Http but to GpsGate.com is this changeable? I have an email into Byteworks asking this question.

"You should be able to setup GpsGate Server without any programming skills, but some general computer admin skills can always be handy. If you plan to customize your solution, what you need to learn will depend on what you want to do. Post specific questions to this forum, and we'll try to answer them."

I have done the dedicated server install and it functions perfectly, I'm just looking at the ability to provide access via the internet. I'll just keep playing with the application and any questions I have I'll post here. I just thought that you might be able to point to something specfic to start learning about

Thanks again
Glenn

johan
GpsGate

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:13 pm

200 bytes may most likely change to a higher value, since more data will be stored.

Yes both Tracker II and Telit support HTTP.

The information we have is;

Some overview of GpsGate Server
http://gpsgate.com/index.php?id=55

The Knowledge base:
http://franson.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=31

And of course this forum, were more detailed issued are discussed and hopefully resolved.

It is always interesting to hear if you find that some essential information is missing, and we'll consider adding that.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

holatodos

Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:40 am

If my gpsgate server installation on jodohost has a dedicated ip address, can I use UDP and TCP besides http?

IF not, is there a way of getting Starsnav pt-33 gps to work on my jodohost gpsgate server?

johan
GpsGate

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:39 am

I think Jodohost only have web site hosting. (That is only web pages.) You need a dedicated server were you can install normal programs and services. So the answer is no.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”