JayFF

Import Device Instance Overwrites Existing

Fri May 06, 2016 1:23 am

Hi All,

This has happened to me twice recently. I'm hoping someone has a solution. We are using CalAmp devices. I clicked on the Types menu on the Devices tab of the Site Administrator application. I selected CalAmp Generic as my Device Type and then clicked the Import ... button next to the Instance dropdown menu. I selected the file and clicked Import. Once the import completed, I changed the name of the Instance and made some other edits to the mapping. I saved my changes and the new Instance name displays in the Instance dropdown. I clicked the Import ... button a second time, selected the same file and clicked Import. When the import completed, the new Instance created after the first import was deleted from my Instance dropdown. Why did the second import overwrite an Instance when the first one did not?

On a separate issue, is there a way to create a new Instance of a device that is a copy of an existing instance? When I click the New button, it always creates a copy of the CalAmp Generic Instance, even though I have a different Instance selected.

Thanks as always for your help.

Jay

J. F. Florey

johan
GpsGate

RE: Import Device Instance Overwrites Existing

Fri May 06, 2016 8:52 am

This is by design.

An exported Device Type is uniquely identified. The new import updates the old import (you had updated).

There is currently no Copy function for Device Types.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

JayFF

Re: Import Device Instance Overwrites Existing

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi Johan,

I noticed that when I use the Export tool on the Device Types page, every export .xml has the same value in the <Guid></Guid> tag. This creates a problem when trying to import multiple device definitions since each new definition overwrites the existing one. Can I manually update the value in the <Guid> tag in the export .xml file as a work around for this?

Thanks as always for your time.

Regards,
Jay
J. F. Florey

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”