Alon

Massive email sending

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi,

[Community sharing]

As you might know, Google, Microsoft and others do not allow sending massive amount of emails from a single account.
In my case my servers send around 800 emails a day and growing. Many of those were blocked and did not arrive to their destination.

The solution I've found was to open an account with a company that gives such service of sending emails masively.
There are many in the market but I want to recommend the one I've found (I'm not working there and do not have any relation with them apart of using their service) - www.mailgun.com

The advantages I recognize are:
1. Price - first 10K emails of every month for free, the next 10K 5US$ and going down as you grow. No one that I have found gives you monthly free emails.
2. Easiness of setting up - it took me literly 5 min to open the account and test with GGS (no credit card needed), including adjusting my DNS records (all explained on the opening process).
3. The company is of Rackspace - where I hold my servers. If mailgun's service is anywhere near of Rackspace's then I can promise you that they give the best service possible, world class level.
4. They give statistics + detalied log were you can see the status of each email including the failure reason (if) and suggestions for solution.

I hope this post will help any of you.

johan
GpsGate

RE: Massive email sending

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:41 pm

Sending many emails is often an issue, since email services are so spam sensitive. Another tip is to use different email servers for different clients (applications). For example if a client has an internal email server, maybe you can send the email directly to that server.

More info: http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/configur ... _providers

If anyone has more experience on suitable email providers or other related tips, please post replies here.

This is also useful info: Alerts when server uses excessive resources topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17693

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

kalmangabriel

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:47 am

What about this one?

"This is typically used when web applications generate emails and use the mail relay to deliver them".

http://www.vsysad.com/2012/04/setup-and ... r-2008-r2/

Cheers,

<font color="red">Please note that my reply IS NOT from GpsGate!!!</font id="red">
------------------------------------------
<font size="1">Email: tech@scorpiontrack.ro Skype: gabrielkalman
Internet: It doesn't make you more stupid, it just makes your stupidity more accessible to others</font id="size1">

ggsgeek

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:11 pm

We have setup a dedicated server for email alerts. SmarterTools offer a free version of their professional grade mail server for up to 10 email-ids. We send a lot of email alerts everyday and this has been working very well for a very long time.

It also offers advanced reporting of mail traffic.

Off late, we are also using Amazon SES to send email alerts to GMail email-ids in case if Google does not like so many emails coming from same IP.

www.smartertools.com

Hope this helps.

Reglo

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Kalmangabriel-

Thanks for that link! I have long been searching for this kind of guide. In order to get it to work, I had to change the default port (25 was being used by another process), and also had to add my own IP to both "connections" and "relays".

Until now I have been using Sendgrid as SMTP server (12,000 free messages per month), but that had the unwanted side-effect of causing Gmail and others to add "via sendgrid.com" to incoming messages. Using the server itself as a relay would seem to be the perfect solution.

Reglo

johan
GpsGate

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Reglo: Don't you think it is Sendgrid that adds "via sendgrid.com" for the "free" service. There are no free lunches...

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Reglo

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Johan,

Actually it is added by Gmail as a security feature: "Gmail displays this information because many of the services that send emails on behalf of others don’t verify that the name that the sender gives matches that email address. We want to protect you against misleading messages from people pretending to be someone you know."

But you are definitely right about no free lunches... :)

Reglo

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”