Alon

RE: FEATURE: Mobile (major update).

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:02 pm

I'm feeling the same phenomenon as @Machtl. Is it possible that it occurs due to loading time (i.e. till the list of vehicle charges with all its data)? Maybe best will be to load in parallel while showing the list.

AndrewC
GpsGate

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks for the report. We have some performance improvements working internally which will be released alongside the next update but I shall also investigate this issue.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

GPS2014

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 pm

with the new beta there is a problem on iphones. when the mobile site is added to the home screen the application does not fully load. the green bar gets to the end but does not open the application

Fredrik

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:13 pm

@GPS2014
Are you using a home-screen link created during a previous release or does it also happen if you create a new home-link with the latest? (I assume it works when in standard browser mode?). Are you using IOS7? (IOS8 has issues with map panning as mentioned earlier in this thread).

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

GPS2014

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 pm

yes it happens on both old home screen link and newly created link.
Its ISO8. It seems fine in the standard browser

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:37 pm

There seem to be some serious issues getting home screen apps and sites in Safari in IOS8.1 to refresh properly and load new versions of files that have changed on the server.

The only steps I have found to guarantee a refresh on IOS8.1 home screen apps is to:

1) Double tap the home button and dismiss the running application by swiping it up.
2) Tap and hold the home screen application to enter edit mode then click the X button to delete the home screen app.
3) Make sure that any tab running in Safari that is browsing the mobile site has been closed.
4) Enter the settings app, scroll to enter Safari options, scroll to 'Clear History and Website Data' or the local translation of the same. Confirm by clicking again.
5) Recreate the home screen app by navigating to the site in Safari and adding to home screen.

This is quite tedious as when we create a new version, the browser should force the site to download the new files as they are higher versions. This doesn't always happen and sometimes will refresh okay, but not reliably. This has worked just fine in all other versions of IOS but the latest seems to not refresh it's cache sometimes.

If these steps do not help we can look into it as a new issue with the update.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

GPS2014

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:55 pm

@Andrew

I tried the above but still the same issue, one i add a new home screen app the loading bar gets to the end but does not open the application?

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Could you please send a mail to support@gpsgate.com and we can investigate further.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:05 pm

An update

It seems that the steps described above will indeed work around the iOS8.1 caching bug and resolve the issue. We will continue to look for workarounds to the various bugs that iOS8.1 home screen browser contains but I would suggest recommending to your users that they not view the mobile plugin in home screen app mode in iOS8.1 if they can until Apple releases fixes.

The iOS8.1 home screen app contains these known issues caused by bugs in Apple's latest version.
Opening the app, locking the screen with the phone button while it is running and then unlocking it again can stop the app getting new data from the server.Panning support is only possible with a workaround that suffers from performance problems and does not allow vertical panning in some cases.When the plugin is updated the home screen app can sometimes fail to refresh its cached files and need manual intervention as described in the post above.When the device changes from portrait to landscape mode or vice versa, or resizes due to popups it will sometimes not inform the web page and can lead to the map being cropped or showing white space at the bottom of the screen.iOS8 without the iOS8.1 update is almost entirely non-functional in home screen mode and will frequently fail to even load the mobile view.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:59 pm

New BETA Release

Important note: One of the fixes in this update tells the new versions of mobile Safari and Chrome to stop caching a key file that lets the site know when it has been updated. This setting will also be cached by the current beta version. We recommend updating the current beta and then performing a full cache clear of your mobile browser to ensure you have the latest files. Please perform this step before reporting any issues.

Fixes
Opening the right hand side tab has been optimised and will be faster on mobile devicesOpening the vehicle list should no longer temporarily freeze the UI on servers with many vehiclesResolved a bug that could cause tabs to appear to stop responding to tapsCommand names are translated if a language key is presentImproved a case where updating the Mobile plugin could cause users to freeze on loginWP8.1: Vehicle list text and icons more tightly alignedWP8.1: Stopped button text being selected on tapWP8.1: Fixed bug where settings popup could sometimes not be scrolledFirefox: Altered vehicle list icons to stop firefox sometimes needlessly using two rows to display one vehicleAndroid, WP8.1, iOS8.1 Chrome: The Settings panel will no longer leave white space at the bottom of the map
Please discuss any issues or suggestions with this release in this thread!

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

Alon

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 pm

First impression - works much better!! ;)
Will it not work without the cache clearing? (i.e. do I need to notify all my clients to clear their cache?)
Also, is cache clearing necessary for PC browsers as well (that are using the mobile site)?

AndrewC
GpsGate

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:03 am

@Alon

I am glad things are running more smoothly!

The caching behaves differently in different circumstances so they might be okay or might need a refresh. I would send a recommendation to clear the cache to everyone who used the previous beta to make sure that they are using the latest update. That way we can be sure people are getting the best experience and that any bugs reported have not already been addressed.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:56 pm

New BETA Release

This is the first part of the performance upgrades discussed previously in this thread. Despite the modest release notes there are a significant amount of changes to the UI. Please discuss any feedback or issues you have with the release in this thread.

As always. Please try clearing your browser cache before reporting any issues.

Features
A refresh of the user interface with various performance and convenience changes
Fixes
Translation keys added for track drawing, commands and dispatch pluginA change to force iOS 8.1 Safari and other browsers to clear its HTML cache after a Mobile update
There are many swipe gestures in the UI now!

Try swiping the summary panel to switch quickly between selected vehiclesSwiping right on an alert in the alerts section of the vehicle information screen lets you close it quicklySwiping left on a vehicle in the list will open its informationSwiping right on the top bar in the vehicle information tab will close that vehicle

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

Alon

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Much more responsive!!
the only thing didn't work for me was swipe right to close alarm. All the rest works as expected. (I cleared the cache).
I will test translations later.

AndrewC
GpsGate

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:43 pm

@Alon
I should likely have been more specific in the description. A quick right swipe on any individual alert in the Alerts section of the vehicle information tab should move it to the side and expose a close button.

If this does not work, could you please send a support ticket containing information about the device and browser?

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”