AndrewC
GpsGate

RE: FEATURE: Mobile (major update).

Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:32 pm

We don't support downgrading the plugin but waiting to upgrade a piece of software until it fulfils your business use cases is defintely a good step. GpsGate Server is free to download so having future versions of a plugin running on a beta/test server is a great way to check that things work in the way you want them to before rolling updates out to your production servers. That being said, we are confident that we can solve the main issues that are making people in this thread cautious about upgrading soon.

* @multitechsb you would like to see the address and last update time in the vehicle list without having to tap on a user.

- This is a strong feature and is actually possible now in the most recent beta update to the mobile plugin. There is another setting under Vehicle List in the settings page called "additional detail" that lets you add another field to the items in the list. If you want update time and location address at once, that is no problem and you can select that to be displayed together right now.
Switching the setting over and over was definitely never intended to be something that you would need to do. Settings should ideally be something you only ever configure very rarely. If you find yourself changing settings lots inside one session let us know and we should be able to optimise your experience better than that.

* Seeing the status colour of a device in the list.

- It might not be immediately obvious if you have all online or offline vehicles, but vehicles 'identifier' label does change colour when its status changes. If it has not recently had a position update it will be white, and if the status of the vehicle is green, the label will turn green. This way the status is available without taking up extra space with another icon (we want to add all that information you all want, so saving space to put extra information is important to us). We will also add the yellow status to this feature in a future update making it a direct replacement for the old icon while still saving this space.

* @husky92's feedback points 1 & 3 (2 should be solved by the additional detail setting above) are great and we would like to support this use case.

- We are working on a focus mode which should let you select a device and show its main stats and map at the same time without needing to use the vehicle list/info panels. This should prove to be a good fit for the personal tracking/security usages.

* Performance

- Performance is something that we never stop trying to improve. More specifically at the moment, we have started working on using a different method of animating the opening and closing of our side-menus that seems to be a lot smoother in more devices and will roll that out into beta when we are more comfortable with its stability. We also added lots of efficiency fixes for customers with large fleets in the late part of our beta.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it helps us to keep improving the product. Do keep it coming and we will keep working to make sure that the new mobile plugin just gets better and more versatile.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

sene

Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:39 am

Nice work guys. Just wondering though how do i default to my country?. Right now when i log in it shows Sweden by default. I have to click on show all to move the map to my country where my vehicles are.

sene

qtech

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:18 am

Please take into account sending commands from the mobile application, eg engine stop ... that sends all the commands available in the Commands tab ....

AndrewC
GpsGate

Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:54 pm

@sene

It should perform one of those automatically for you when you log in. We will check on this.

@qtech

That one has been added to our (very long) future features idea list.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

Fredrik

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:24 pm

@sene
The intended behavior is to immediately after start zoom to show all your vehicles (also between view and app changes).
I can now see we have made a mistake with this feature in latest release, will be fixed in the next update!
For now, please click the "show all" button at the bottom of the right hand side panel to quickly view your fleet.

Thanks for reporting!

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

Fredrik

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:39 pm

@qtech
As Andrew says, commands are on the todo-list. Please take your chance now to describe in more detail how you would like that feature to work! Your suggestions are valuable, the earlier and more detailed the better :)

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

multitechsb

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:16 am

Hi,
Is there a possibility to add the ability to "enable/disable" event rules (Making them Live). The reason is that some of our fleet manager customers want the ability to control event rules activation when they only have access to a mobile device. The desktop version of this running on a mobile device will not allow the user to save after changes have been made to the event rule (Unable to click on "Save" or "Cancel"). Thanks.

sene

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks Fredrik.

Also drawing today's tracks on mobile app would also be cool.

Thanks for these updates. They are really cool. I see a lot of our clients would use it on desktop as well especially if they can draw todays tracks.

sene

multitechsb

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:59 am

Some feedback from my customers regarding GUI:
1) The GUI showing the list of Vehicles is very Dark and it is difficult to read under sunlight. Is there a way to change the contrast or flip it to white background like ver 3.

2) When showing the details of a particular vehicle, is it possible to consolidate the information and status to one single panel. This way, they only have to click on the vehicle to show address, activity and status without having to click an extra button to pull up the status.

Thanks.

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:53 pm

@multitechsb

Do you want to be able to disable all event rules in an application from being active on the server from the mobile interface? Currently you can stop all alert markers that are generated from displaying on the mobile interface but not stop them from actually executing.

Controlling the theme/display of the view is something that is on our future feature ideas list but at the moment is a little lower in priority than implementing all the features that we want to support in the near future. It is definitely something that we are considering though.

@sene

We think that this is a really powerful and useful feature and hope to support it in an upcoming major release.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:01 pm

We have a new beta (beta.gpsgate.com plugin repository) of the Mobile plugin today containing a new feature aimed at small fleet and personal tracking users and some fixes.

Features
Summary Panel: Clicking once on a vehicle marker on the map will now open a summary panel on the map for that vehicle. Clicking again on the marker will open the side panel to the vehicle as usual.

Clicking on the address on the summary panel will zoom to street level over the device.

Clicking on the name on the summary panel will open the side panel for the device.

You can page between the vehicles currently displayed in your vehicle list by tapping the edge arrows or swiping across the panel to the left or right. As you page between vehicles the map will adjust to show your currently selected vehicle.

Tap anywhere else on the summary panel to dismiss it.

You can disable this new feature in the settings window under the "Maps" category.

In the Vehicle List side panel the name of the vehicle will turn the colour of its current status in real time. Green for active and located, yellow for active and no current position and white for inactive. The device icon in the summary panel will also change colour this way letting you see this information at a glance as you page through your fleet
Fixes
Click and tap interactions are marked better on the display with icons and a click cursor in desktop browsers.

Tricks: Did you know?

You can tap the address in the vehicle information side panel to zoom to street level
You can press and hold an alarm to close it quickly
You can roll the scroll wheel in a desktop browser to zoom the map
You can tap the name of a settings category to expand that category quickly

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

vaughancoke

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:58 am

Hi all. After this update I have lost the ability to access the mobile view from a Windows Phone 8.1 device, and possibly iPhone. Android seems to work fine. I haven't actually tried an iPhone personally however I have had reports from users on these devices that the page does not load. On WP8.1 the grey screen with the green loading bar is displayed, then the screen changes to white and fails to load. I have installed the latest beta updates however they have had no affect.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help rectify this issue.

Fredrik

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:31 pm

@vaughancoke
The latest Beta should have a fix that helps but apparently some problem might still exist.
We're working on it!

Some things you can do:
* Try to to clear your browser's cache (storage and cookies).
- Android browser: Settings->Privacy and security->Clear Cache.
- Chrome: Settings->Privacy->Clear browsing data.

* If possible, try with the latest Beta version (grab it from http://beta.gpsgate.com in SiteAdmin/plugins page).

* A very slow network might give timeout issues worst case, please also try on wifi to verify.

* Known issues:
- Using "private browsing"/"incognito mode" will most likely not work.
- It will not work in the s.c. "home screen" mode on IOS8+. (IOS7 and Android ok).
- Very old phones, IOS4 etc are more likely to fail (we'll improve detection!)

Please keep reporting as detailed as possible about any issues, give info about your phone and browser etc.
It will all help us track this down!
Thanks

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

sim0ne

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:04 pm

For me the latest beta version 4.0.0.2035 has some very very important updates like the "status" color (Green, Yellow and White (if it possible for me red color is better than White), and usefull "top screen Windows".
But i think to make it effective, these changes would be necessary:
1. when i click in the right column the name of one device is better zoom to Street level and open the "top screen Windows" of device selected (because if i have for example 3 device in milan and 2 device in lisbona when i click on one device is difficult on a small screen check the address in one step).
2. I think it is better to remove the "x" from top screen windws in the top right because is useless if we can click everywhere for close "top screen Windows".

For the compatibility of mobile version i confirm that this not work on:
- Windows phone (and this is not great)
- Android 2.3.3 (test on htc desire z)
And about bug i have test this new version on ipad MD368B/A with ios 6.1.3 and when i zoom to Street level the "icon" of device disappear (i haven't understand how it's possible but on this version happens, for example on ipad 7.1.1 no).

About new function i think that:
- "show traffic" on map is useless and is better the option "sound" (that make a "bip" when one device send new point).
- the "drawing today's track" can be usefull and cool but before this new function is better solve compatibility problem because if i must set old version (/vt/) on smartphone like lumia 930 another time i get down..

sim0ne

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:09 pm

And i've forgot one think:
- "Follow select" function is necessary by default.

Best Regards

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”