AndrewC
GpsGate

RE: FEATURE: Android device tracking

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi pablogomez.

When you check the "GPS Tracking" (top option, will be localized) function the app will log your locations into a storage that should last for months if needed. When you connect to your server with the "Server Connection" function (you must be able to connect to your server in some way) it should upload the stored positions to your server.

If this behaviour is not happening, please send a support email regarding the issue.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

teduardo

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:42 pm

Just wanted to add that have been test driving the Android App for a few weeks with about 20 drivers. Accuracy is good enough that I can run geo-fences down either side of a road easement and traffic passing along the road almost never triggers an entry event, but it always captures an entry if the driver turns off into a entry gate. The off occasion that false events are triggered I just filter out by setting a minimum event duration of 2 minutes. Good job on this app. Great practical tool. Only trouble is management starts getting ideas once they see initial results and want more and more

markusBW

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:57 am

Hello,

I want to use the Android to log directly to my own GPSGate Server.
But my server is running at home and I don't have a static external IP.

When I've configured the server adress in the Android app, the app resolved the DynDNS to the current IP-adress. So I could use it only 24h. [V]

Is it possible to use the servername without resolving the IP? Or is this feature planned for the future?

Thank you!

Kind regards
Markus

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi Markus.

If you use the quick registration feature by sending an SMS or scanning a QR code etc, it will try to set up everything it can for you automatically. Part of this process is automatically detecting your current external IP address so that you don't need to find it out yourself. If you would like, you can skip this process and configure the app to use any settings that you like.

To do this:
Step 1) If you have already registered the app to a server, go into the settings page inside the app and click "unregister tracker" or your regional translation. Accept the confirmation page.
Step 2) Click "Register tracker".
Step 3) Fill your DynDNS address into the "Server" field.
Step 4) Leave the port the same unless you have manually changed it in GpsGate Server and make sure that it is forwarded by your router to your hosting PC (TCP).
Step 5) Fill in the phone number of the device if the field is present
Step 6) Click register tracker and accept the confirmation page.

If your DynDNS is working, the app will use that address to resolve your updated IP information as you'd expect and the app will work as long as you maintain updates to DynDNS.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

abarnard

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Just a quick note to other users of this app from my experience, in case it helps.

I set up the device mapper in the admin pages (Devices/types/DeviceMapper) so that I can see data such as battery voltage as well as MCC/MNC/LAC and Cell ID. The latter can be useful for basic tracking when GPS signal is lost.

I noticed that when attached to a UMTS cell the Cell ID reported by the app is different from that reported by some other apps (e.g. “Cell ID Info” from Google play which gives a cell ID as used in http://opencellid.org). When setting the phone to 2G only all Cell IDs match.

The reason is that the GPS gate app reports the cell ID correctly but opencellid.org and some others use the value [RNCID * 65536 + CellID], which gives a number with global significance. You can calculate CellID from the global number (i.e. number % 65536), but you can’t go in the reverse direction without knowing the RNC ID (unfortunately!)

pablogomez

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Dear GpsGate,
I have tested some Android Apps for GpsGate and i think that the ideal app to reduce support problems is if the app make the folowing:

- I can send commands (admin user) like "accuracy, frecuency of get position, frecuency of send data"
- The option to send a command to hide the app from the slide bar
- Ones the app is installed and registered that is not possible to uncheck or unregister from the Android App

If we can have the Android proyect is perfect to compile and our branded Android App is in Google Play Store. We can save the registration process including our Public IP in our Android App.

AndrewC
GpsGate

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi pablogomez.

Point 1.
We support this feature already with the use of "Settings Profiles".

To use Settings Profiles:
* Export the Android or Android Wifi Only device types from SiteAdmin -> Devices -> Types.
* You will see a section in the XML called "Profiles".
* Add your own profile in that element using the same formatting as the General one already there
* Re-import this template and your new Settings Profile will appear in the Edit User window on all devices that use the profile
* Select your new profile from the drop down list and save
* It will be deployed to the app when the device next connects.

This allows you to create profiles for different use cases and deploy them to difference devices as you wish.

Name is the display name of the profile.
Tracker Interval is the frequency of logging the position in seconds.
Tracker Distance is in metres.
Tracker Direction Change is in degrees.
Upload Interval is in seconds.

Tracker Interval, Tracker Distance and Tracker Direction Change cause a track point to be logged if any are met since the last point. I.e. a logical OR

Point 2.
This feature is against the terms of service of the Google Play Store.

Point 3.
Not being able to un-register the app is very easily bypassed by just re-installing the app from the Google Play Store. Re-installing the app is destructive to the data stored on the device (deletes all cached positions, for example) so we have un-registration as a convenience to discourage users from resorting to the re-installation workflow.

Taking steps for the user to not be able to re-install the app from the Google Play store is also against the Google Play Store terms of service.

If you would like to lock down the software on the device in a way that is less consumer oriented (admin level control of the whole device) you need to use Android's corporate functionality. More information can be found here: https://www.google.com/work/android/

Point 4.
The app is available without our branding from the Google Play Store under the name "GPS Tracker". The quick registration process is designed to make the registration of the app quick and simple for all skill level of users. The app is not an open source project but it does use the TrackerOne protocol which is available if you wanted to make your own tracker app for Android.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Version 1.0.143
A new release of the GpsGate Tracker Android app has been released to the Google Play Store.

Features
Stackable Notifications: All jobs that have arrived since last user interaction appear in an inbox-style in the notification areaActivity based trackpoint frequency: Trackpoint recording frequency scales with activity detected by the device. Can currently detect walking, running, cycling, vehicle and stationary.Upload Cell tower RNC value
Fixes
More reliable track point buffer storage between periods of being onlineNotification area controls now show up in Android 5.0 + when "hide notification content" setting is enabled in device settingsTerminating app process very soon after loading could cause problems on restarting (Try not to use task killers! See previous post in this thread for why)Do not re-queue commands that fail from parsing error on serverDisabled 'parked' mode for good on devices that have no accelerometer

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

J.Kesoe

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:02 am

Hi Andrew,

Any chance to add chat support in near future ?

Thanks.

Regards,
John

Originally posted by AndrewC

Version 1.0.143
A new release of the GpsGate Tracker Android app has been released to the Google Play Store.

Features
Stackable Notifications: All jobs that have arrived since last user interaction appear in an inbox-style in the notification areaActivity based trackpoint frequency: Trackpoint recording frequency scales with activity detected by the device. Can currently detect walking, running, cycling, vehicle and stationary.Upload Cell tower RNC value
Fixes
More reliable track point buffer storage between periods of being onlineNotification area controls now show up in Android 5.0 + when "hide notification content" setting is enabled in device settingsTerminating app process very soon after loading could cause problems on restarting (Try not to use task killers! See previous post in this thread for why)Do not re-queue commands that fail from parsing error on serverDisabled 'parked' mode for good on devices that have no accelerometer

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

webo

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm experiencing bugs with the latest Android client where the GPS or connection to the server will somehow uncheck themselves and we have to walk the person closest to the client through the process of rechecking them.

Is there a way to force the checkboxes to remain checked? It's disconcerting to suddenly lose visibility and have to troubleshoot remotely.

AndrewC
GpsGate

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Webo,

That is not intended behaviour and is likely the symptom of a bug. Could you please send some details about the model of the device and the Android version to our support email address and we will investigate.

http://gpsgate.com/contact_us

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

webo

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:23 pm

I've been experiencing connectivity issues with 1.0.151 where the device simply disconnects and it doesn't seem as though it is reconnecting.

The server logs show:

Code: Select all

[10/19/2015 2:00:42 PM] (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:27961/GpsGate/tcp) Disconnect
[10/19/2015 1:53:02 PM] (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:27961/GpsGate/tcp) Info: Pooled Disconnect
Perhaps this is an additional feature request but is it possible to "lock" the app so that it is always attempting to connect to the server?

It would also be nice to password protect the app so users cannot inadvertently disable the GPS? (e.g. requiring an admin PIN to open the app settings)

AndrewC
GpsGate

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi webo,

If you have the connection check-box ticked the app will constantly try to reconnect if it becomes disconnected for some reason. The only reason it should stop trying is when the device loses internet connectivity and even then it should resume trying when the connectivity is restored.

While the app is reconnecting it should also show a progress bar to indicate when the next reconnect attempt will happen (these become more infrequent over time). If you are seeing something other than the behaviour above, it might be related to the issue that you mentioned before?

If you believe so, please send us an email to the support address in the link above and we can take a look at it.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

webo

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:00 pm

When the devices come back into the office, I see that there is a progress bar but it doesn't seem to do much of anything and all checkboxes are orange.

Out of 4 devices, all four have gone offline multiple times today and only when I reopen the app and connect it to wifi does it appear to do anything.

When I disconnect the wifi, it seems to work fine but after 30 minutes or so on the road, it will go red in GPSgate and our drivers simply don't have the time to mess around with it.

UPDATE:

So I have another device on my desk right now and it was showing as red. When I opened the app, I saw the progress bar stuck all the way full and all checkboxes were orange.

Then, the progress bar decreased to about 70% and quickly went to the right, and then decreased again multiple times. Then a notification appeared saying "Could not connect to GPSgate server" and then right as that happened, the server checkbox turned green to indicate that it is now connected.

The phone is going between 2G and 3G networks so the connection isn't perfect but it does not seem to be as fault tolerant as it used to be. We've never had this many disconnections before in such a short period of time.

UPDATE #2:
It does appear that if an Android device is left in the office and not touched, it disconnects from the GPSgate server. In order to get it back online, I have to open the app and wait (even if in the notification drawer it says it's connected)

Something is definitely timing out.

AndrewC
GpsGate

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi webo,

Could you please send a mail to our support mail address so that we can gather some more information and look into the issues that you are having?

http://gpsgate.com/contact_us

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”