AndrewC
GpsGate

FEATURE: Android device tracking

Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

The latest GpsGate Server Patch.v4 has added 'Android' as a supported device. This is a new feature and has been designed to be used with our new GpsGate Tracker Android app!

For information on how to download the GpsGate Tracker app and configure it, see the blog post at: http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/gpsgate_ ... or_android

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

jdewitt

RE: FEATURE: Android device tracking

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Andrew, I would love to beta test the new GpsGate Tracker Android App. We wrote our own, but would prefer to switch to the GpsGate version.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 pm

jdewitt: please email support with a beta request. You need a Google+ account. Please include the email for your Google+ account in the request.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

jdewitt

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:31 pm

I installed the Android Tracker and did a test drive. Everything works, but the placement of track points is a little rough.

As mentioned before, we developed our own Android device for GpsGate and have done a lot of testing and tweaking to optimize the placement of track points. Some suggestions for improving the placement of track points in Android Tracker are:

1) Create a new track point when the heading change more than 30 degrees
2) Make track points distance based, not time based
3) Only send points that meets a certain GPS accuracy criteria

AndrewC
GpsGate

Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:38 pm

We have released a new version of the GpsGate Tracker Android App which should improve battery life and result in smoother tracking.

Note: If you are seeing erratic tracks, try setting your device's Location mode in the Settings app to "Device Only" or "GPS Only" mode.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:46 pm

The GpsGate Tracker for Android has been released. For more information see the blog post at: http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/gpsgate_ ... or_android

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:04 pm

The new Patch.v4 on beta contains other ways to register your Android devices quickly. We have also enabled registering your device on the server from inside the app.

Make sure that your GpsGate Tracker app has recieved the latest update and follow the guide at: http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/gpsgate_ ... ithout_sms

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

multitechsb

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 am

I have noticed a problem when using GpsGate Client on an Android device. When the GPS on the Android device is on, the location sent back is ok. However, when the GPS is off, the device will not update it's location based on Cell tower. I have enabled cell tower tracking on my device. In addition, when the "Me" icon is clicked on Mobile, the location shown for "Me" is correct (based on cell tower tracking). This means that the device is using cell towers to triangulate it's location correctly but the GpsGate Client is not able to. In addition, whenever I disable the Server Connection on GpsGate Client, it will automatically reconnect itself without permission or prompting to do so.

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:53 pm

@multitechsb

Currently the GpsGate Tracker Android app will use cell tower location updates but not very many of them will make it through the internal filtering due to being extremely innaccurate (2km or more innaccuracy in some cases).

We have the "Me" feature in Mobile view as it is just an approximation for a map marker to show where you roughly are at the time and does not have the potential to contaminate track data on the server. That being said we will likely add support for cell tower positioning in the future when we update the server with the capability to be aware of the accuracy of a cell tower trackpoint.

The second issue sounds like a bug. It should only try to reconnect when disconnected by the network and not the user. We shall investigate.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:46 pm

A fix for the above issue has been pushed to Google and should be live on various Play Stores this evening.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:55 pm

We have released an unbranded version of our GpsGate Tracker app for Android.

Read more about it at http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/unbrande ... or_gpsgate

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

AndrewC
GpsGate

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:37 pm

There is a new release of the Android app on the Google Play Store containing Signals. To be able to map these in GpsGate Server you will also need to update your GpsGate Server Patch.v4 plugin to the latest version on the beta repository.

Features
BatteryLevel and BatteryVoltage signals are now sent from Android devices to allow you to monitor your fleet's Android tracking battery capacity.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

Alon

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to test the Android tracker on my test server but keep getting this message (Devices->Listeners):
"The device can only be assigned to a user in an existing application. You must first create an application.Create New Application"

I have one application on this server with 4 licenses.
Patch.V4 version is 4.0.0.2154

BTW, the link http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/gpsgate_ ... or_android does not show anymore the blog post...

Thanks.

Alon

Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:19 am

Today I've tried the register from site approach and got a different problem - the GpsGate android client crushes on start.
My phone is LG G3 with Lollipop version (5.0) - it was upgraded few days ago. Before the upgrade the GpsGate app worked (though with the server problem mentioned above).
I've sent the report from the Android OS, don't know if it arrives to you or not.

J.Kesoe

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Hello Andrew,

What about chat support ? Could we expect soon development in this area ?

Regards,
J.Kesoe

Originally posted by AndrewC

There is a new release of the Android app on the Google Play Store containing Signals. To be able to map these in GpsGate Server you will also need to update your GpsGate Server Patch.v4 plugin to the latest version on the beta repository.

Features
BatteryLevel and BatteryVoltage signals are now sent from Android devices to allow you to monitor your fleet's Android tracking battery capacity.

Regards,
Andrew

GpsGate Support

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”