piter197

RE: FEATURE: Google Maps v3

Sun May 12, 2013 5:03 am

Hi Support,

The Toolbar on Google map Always on Top, this sometimes cover other pop-up configuration windows, please make it back as not Always on Top.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
piter197

Fredrik

Mon May 13, 2013 9:28 pm

@piter
The toolbar/menu overlap is addressed in a beta Patch-3840 (also not visible in Chrome browser).

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

piter197

Thu May 16, 2013 3:43 am

@Fredrik

I have update plugins Patch3.840 3.1.0.4686 and Google Maps 3.1.4547. The Toolbar overlap problem persist when I use Win7 and FF v20 or v21.

If I use Chrome this Toolbar overlap problem disappear.

Please fix it. Thank you.

Best Regards,
piter197

Fredrik

Thu May 16, 2013 2:04 pm

@piter197
I can't repeat that in FF 20. Please try a forced reload of the app by pressing CTRL+F5.
Do you use any other maps at same time?

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

piter197

Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm

I have refresh and try CTRL+F5 my browser and also I have check that on all my VT applications, I only activate Google Maps plugin (though I also install other map plugins: Bing, CloudMade Map and OpenLayers Map)

Best Regards,
piter197

Fredrik

Mon May 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Might be misunderstanding. The fix is the Beta version of the Patch.3840 (located at http://beta.gpsgate.com). Either try that version (since it's Beta, try first on a non-critial server). Or wait a bit longer until it moves into the standard version.

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

tcltech

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:29 am

Hello team

I have followed what described here but i still received the API v2 message on my brower( tried 3 different browsers on 3 different workstations)

We have GPSGate installed internally since 2009 and always worked fine.
Last friday I've ran un update, purchased the support, and then updated all the modules (Google Map and Patch.3840)

However still does not work, looking at the web requested sent(on Squid) I can see that the server sends requestes referring to v2.

I recall that I have no used any account to genereate the first API key, so now i am using a new @gmail.com account to generate API v3 key.
Should i use a specific part of the URL / IP address to generate it?
Im confused

Am I doing anything wrong?
Thank you in advance for your support

Fredrik

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:06 pm

@tcltech
Please make sure that you don't also have installed the very old, now deprecated, "OpenLayers Google Maps" plugin.

Regards,
Fredrik Blomqvist

GpsGate Support

guytracker

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 am

Originally posted by johan

Only Google knows when they will stop supporting v2. They have indicated that they will do it.

We do not offer "pay per plugin update".

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

===============
According to Google: (https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... script/v2/)
Note: The Google Maps JavaScript API Version 2 was officially deprecated on May 19, 2010. The original deprecation period has been extended from May 19, 2013 until November 19, 2013.
=================

So Johan, what you are telling us is that unless we cough up several hundred dollars in support fees, our GPSGate will be useless as of Nov 19 2013. Is that right?

johan
GpsGate

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

guytracker: Maybe you can talk with Google and ask them to keep v2 enabled? I am sure they will listen to you.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

guytracker

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Originally posted by johan

guytracker: Maybe you can talk with Google and ask them to keep v2 enabled? I am sure they will listen to you.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

I really don't want to get into a flaming session here, this is just not the kind of business relationship that I have seen from GPS Gate over the past four years.

To quote yourself from Topic 15717 "And if you decide to stop updating GpsGate, well, you won't have any problems with updates, since you won't update."

That's a fair statement and one I was happy with. Everything is working on my server so I saw no need to purchase support. However by not letting us install the Google Maps plug-in you are effectively forcing all users to purchase support whether we want to or not.

I also don't understand the business model whereby you charge support on a 'per license' basis. With regards to support for external servers there can surely be no cost difference to you whether users have 1 license or 50.

jdewitt

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:45 am

"don't understand the business model whereby you charge support on a 'per license' basis"

This is pretty much standard when it comes to software licensing. (think CALs). I am working for a software company as well and without charging for support, we will not be able to keep the doors open.

The GpsGate team has build a fantastic product/platform. Not sure it is reasonable to expect the software to work indefinitely without breaking upgrades. Especially given all the 3rd party integrations.

guytracker

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:05 am

Originally posted by jdewitt

"don't understand the business model whereby you charge support on a 'per license' basis"

This is pretty much standard when it comes to software licensing. (think CALs). I am working for a software company as well and without charging for support, we will not be able to keep the doors open.

The GpsGate team has build a fantastic product/platform. Not sure it is reasonable to expect the software to work indefinitely without breaking upgrades. Especially given all the 3rd party integrations.

How would you feel if were offerred a service contract on your car, but didn't take it - you figure that you can handle the servicing yourself. Three years later Government decide that the fuel that your car uses is no longer available and you have to have the Engine Management System reprogrammed by the manufacturer. They refuse to do it unless you back pay for the service contract that you were offered but didn't take. So it's a case of "pay up" or the car that you paid good money for will no longer work and there is nothing that you can do about it.

Does this sound reasonable?

Remember that I don't want GPSGate support or new features, but I do want the software that I paid for to continue working.

johan
GpsGate

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 am

You typically pay to service your car. And a car does not last forever.

Comparing Google to the Government is maybe not such a bad idea theses days :-) If you direct your complaints to Google they might listen to you. They have already postponed the end date of v2, maybe they do it again if you share your view on cars, fuel, governments etc..

I think if you want the product to "last forever" you also need to have all third party services to "last forever" I guess.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

jdewitt

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:43 am

Guy, you make a fair point. Totally understand your argument from an end-user perspective. My previous comment was just addressing the issue of how support is charged (per server vs. per license)

The problem is that most non-trivial software depends on external services and APIs. Keeping a product compatible with changes to the external systems consume resources. That is why software companies charge for maintenance. Users have to choice of not paying for maintenance, but the downside is that they have to buy new licenses (at 4 times the maintenance cost) when things break.

Sorry for getting on my soap box. I see where you are coming from, but I don't think GpsGate is unreasonable either.

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”