johan
GpsGate

GpsGate Server improvements, feedback requested!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:44 am

GpsGate Server improvements, feedback requested!

What are the most annoying things when using GpsGate Server?

What are you doing repeatedly each day which could be done in a much better and faster way?

Which feature are you using which is most confusing? How would you like to see it improve to be intuitive?

I am not really talking about new big features, instead about already existing features, which should be more accessible and easy to use.

Things like that... please reply to this topic with your feedback, and we will try to turn GpsGate Server into a feel good user experience. Improvements are released as updates and new plugins.

You can find information about updates and new plugins here:
forum.asp?FORUM_ID=36

Make sure you keep your server up to date:

1. Login to SiteAdmin
2. Go to "Plugins"
3. Update any plugin listed as "red".
4. Make sure "Patch.3275" is installed, you find it under "Get More Plugins".

When the server is up to date all plugins are listed as "green" under SiteAdmin -> Plugins.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

GpsGate comment: We add comments to each of your replies once there is some solution to your requests. The comments are added like this last in each comment

GRACO

RE: GpsGate Server improvements, feedback requested!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:37 am

I will think in a better way to draw tracks, 3 clicks, 3 panels I really don't like it.
May be implement some shortcuts (i.e send commands) with the mouse right button.

Best Regards!

GpsGate comment: It is now possible to right click on a vehicle and draw today's track

juraj12

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:25 am

Maybe right-click on the tracker's pointer in map could show a context menu where user could access last 10 tracks to be displayed, last few alarms, last few jobs, etc.

Rgds,
Juraj

GpsGate comment: It is now possible to right click on a vehicle and draw today's track

guytracker

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:18 am

I agree with Graco & Juraj12. Drawing tracks is currently the most "time consuming" of the daily tasks and a context menu on each tracker would seem to be the most useful.

It's funny though. Using the "deeper" functions of GGS, one can see that it is written by programmers with very little input regarding ergonomics. Examples are in setting up reports and events where specific vehicles are required. Having to setup tags first, especially when only one vehicle in involved, before being able to allocate an event to a vehicle seems to me to be a little long winded. How about automatically allocating a vehicle to it's own tag when adding a vehicle?

Also trying to set-up a report in report 3 can be quite daunting for a user that doesn't need to create a new report very often. A more detailed "dummies guide to Report 3.0" would be useful.

GpsGate comment:
It is now possible to right click on a vehicle and draw today's track. Track drawing is also faster.
Use application template to save time when setting up new applications (and new reports).

mti

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Subscribe all the three above, maybe we would get back to GGS then :)

this is really the key:
Maybe a little bit more of a "Apple feeling" :-)

The plugin and new devices integration is fine enough to us.

regards
mti

Edit: Statistics about usage (time spent connected, etc.)

limyo

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 pm

-Scroll bar should large enough for touch tablet.
-Able to hide or show "Menu" & "Map display options".
-Change vehicle marker shape between vehicle moving and vehicle park, Ex. When vehicle moving display marker as "Arrow" and when vehicle park display marker as "Needle"
*For vehicle park status could be based on event rule.
-Interface to count number of vehicle base on selection of "Geofence" of "POI" .
-Self animation play back for history track drawing.

Thanks
Best regards
Yo

GpsGate comment:
A Mobile plugin is now available http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/use_iphone_and_android_to_track_your_fleet

husky92

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi!

I minor, but annoying thing: In the object list it should be possible to deselect/select ALL in the SHOW column. Also it should be possible to Deselect All in the Select Track column.

Oyvind

GpsGate comment: It is now possible to (de)select all vechiles in vehicle list.

Bolt

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi
I would love to see a "mouse over" the vehicle icon to show the attributes rather than have the attributes permanent as is already.

Regards

sowmach

Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:50 am

We need a better way to admin plugins with applications.
like in the old GGS version.

The Idea is to be able to enable/disable a plugin in all/some
vehicle tracker applications.

the way its being done now, you have to select each application and enable the plugins you want, and then select another application and the plugins you want, this just doesnt make sense when you have 1000 applications.

GpsGate comment: You can do this in v3.1. Please use Batch edit under SiteAdmin -> Applications

kilosec

Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:34 am

Having to constantly go through logging in over and over again when moving between Vehicle Tracking and Site Admin is to me a real pain.
Eddie

GpsGate comment: a useful feature in SiteAdmin to login "impersonated". In the application list in SiteAdmin click on the icon left to the name of the application, then select the username to login as. In this way you can verify that a user gets the proper experience when logged in.

havian

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:51 am

Hey

We all know the "google" terms problem 10.000$ pr year for using the maps

Maybe a special version of Gpsgate there can support local stored maps like MS .

I think this "special" Gpsgate version could be sold for a higher price than the normal version.

IM the first to buy ;)

Regards Hans

GpsGate comment: You can now license Google Maps directly from us in smaller volumes: http://gpsgate.com/purchase/google_maps

ggsgeek

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:25 pm

I would like to see the Track-Replay in automatic mode. Currently, you have to manually navigate through each track-point to traverse through entire track on the map. If this can be automated, it'd be a great help. There could be a button called Track-Auto-Replay on the Tracks panel which will automatically visually traverse each track-point of the track on the map.

bjoman

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:13 am

i agree with all above, but i would like to see to following new features:
- Good working SmartPhone interface (very important), with simple feature to add a quick geofence alarm that only alerts in Phone. Just choose vehicle, add geofence (radius) and save. When moved out of radius the phone alerts (only one time).
- Mouse-over information of vehicle
- Possibility to add sms/email that are not connected to user accounts for sending alarms etc.
- Be able to animate historical tracks
- Possible to copy event rules instead of creating new ones..
- Remove Geofence and use only POI instead, with more features. Possible to add an alarm to POI when enter/leave (radius), like on todays Geofence. Think this is quite confusing for new users.
- In site admin, see a list of all users, devices, vehicles, which application it belongs. Like a "ActiveDirectory".
- Could be just me, but i find it hard understanding the workspace menu with shared workspaces. I cant understand how to remove, add a shared workspace. Have no solution to offer, perhaps me who dont understand.

Looking forward to see some new nice changes

GpsGate comment:
- A Mobile plugin is now available http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/use_iphone_and_android_to_track_your_fleet
- Take a look at SY100x reports for lists of users/devices http://gpsgate.com/reports
- POIs now have the same features as geofences has.

husky92

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi!

A lot of good ideas here. I would like to add the following:

- Improved control of access to Commands to send to the trackers. Currently the only option in SiteAdmin is Admin/Not Admin. Since new admin/operator roles can be created, this option is no longer clear. It should be possible to link specific commands to roles
- Improvement to some Admin-Users list view: Show connected tracking unit names in the list, add/remove columns to view, control paging to show all in one list
- In Admin-Features-Edit I would like to also se the user id(login)
- Possibility to add "user defined" attributes to the user, like internal vehicle ID or car-plate id's
- A full size panel for managing geofences, and the possibility to add user-defined attributes to the geofences (project number or other internal references for use in reporting)
- Event rule to catch the event where alarms are not closed within a certain time. This will add the possibility to escalate alarm notifications. This will be very useful (if not necessary) when the system is used for personal security applications (SOS and geofence alarms)

And finally, I will repeat an important issue which have been discussed a lot

- You should seriously consider to add the possibility to add contacts (users with no login role) to be used for notifications. This should also work for the new "Driver" role users. If necessary, differentiate license costs.

Good luck with the improvements!

Thanks,

Oyvind

GpsGate comments:
- You have two privileges _ExecuteSpecialCommandAll and _ExecuteCommandAll to controal command access.
- User management and lists has been improved in v3.1
- Use the "Tag Notifier" plugin to create dynamic tags with vehicles. http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/how_to_use_tag_notifiers
- Users which only receives email/SMS notifications no longer require a license

stfan

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:26 am

Would really like the ability to access the GPSGate interface with a simple URL access that includes the login credentials. For example:
http://{accountname}.gpsgate.com/login.asp?user=XXXX?password=XXXX

The ability to overwrite the false "invalid" GPRS reports. i.e., the option to disable the system from interpreting an "old" position as "invalid".

GpsGate comment: Use the "Always Valid" plugin to mark all position reports as valid. http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14044

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”