daves

User License

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Group:

We have made the choice to no longer use the server software any longer since the makers of the server software charge license fees for everything and has now caused us to lose customers. we have since made our decision to to use other tracking software available on the market which only requires licenses per device and not user. Our customer base customers desire additional logins and do not want to pay for a rediculous license fee per user login.

Therefore, we are willing to sell our 50 licenses to those of you interested for $25.00 per license. If interested, you can contact me with your contact email and I will make these available for you. I don't think that i am the only one to feel that gpsgate charges way to much and should only charge a license fee per device and not per user and device, its just rediculous.

Regards,

Dave

SpyshopSPS

dfrancis

RE: User License

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:58 pm

hey bro, im interested, my email is info@investitrack.com.

i need 20 if not sold out yet. I agree with you bro, it good software but too greedy with the license stuff. My people say the same. email me asap with your phone so i can buy from you.

Dwayne Francis

dfrancis

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:01 pm

oops, by the way, what tracking software are you using if you don't mine me asking?

catpl

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Good software comes at a price. Johan has been providing even weekend support thru' forum. Again, such close support comes at a premium price too. It is expensive but worth it.

I, too may find a better software. But i cannot find better support than johan's team.

My 2 cents' worth.

husky92

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi!

I felt like posting a comment to this topic, since this was also one of our first possible showstoppers for buying this software.

Although it is not unusual to charge licenses based on the number user logins, I agree that in many cases it would be better to count the number of devices used in the system, since there can be many different user roles in the system. The extreme case is that you are required to have on e user licens for a user who will only receive notifications from the system. This is not reasonable.

On the other hand, if you look at licensing for "personal use", counting devices could also be a problem, since one "personal user" could own several GPS tracking devices (different assets, like car, boat, motorcycle, and personal GPS tracking units). In this case it would be reasonable that one user license could cover up to a certain number of devices.

I would vote for the option to create tracking devices independently from user logins. The current solution has several problems, including the missing option to manage the trackers as independent objects. This could open up for more flexible licensing options.

For enterprise use, I strongly agree with daves that the licensing should be related to the number of GPS tracking devices, and user logins should be treated separately. The current workaround is "re-using" GPS tracking devices "users" as "login users", but this causes administrative challenges (If you have 50 gps trackers, you will be able to use 50 different web logins also).

These were just some initial thoughts. I am sure many users have different opinions on this matter and that Franson/GPSGate would be interrested in your thoughts!

Best Regards,
Oyvind

johan
GpsGate

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:08 pm

For smaller applications with only one user and a tracker you only need one license. This is common misunderstanding that you require two, but that is not the case. You simply add the tracker to the same user you use for web login.

Hopefully that clears up the initial problem "daves" had. You do not need the "extra license".

You can also share the same admin user between several of applications. Here is one video guide on how to setup small applications, which only requires one license, and which has a common "master admin", which you can use to login and administrate all your customers. (This also partly addresses what "husky92" is after):
http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/multiple_customers_on_a_single_server_installation

A license should be required when there is some real value. We are open for a discussion about the licensing model. Here is an interesting topic about if a license should be required for a user that only receives email and SMS notifications:
http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12957

We want to enable as many usage areas of GpsGate as possible, and still keep a straight forward licensing model.

Reselling already used licenses is not ok, and it can be good for "dfrancis" to know before he purchases the licenses, that they will likely not work. Licenses need to be purchased from GpsGate. To resell (unused) licenses you need to contact us first for an agreement. Hopefully that made that part clear :-)

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

mti

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Ops... didn't notice the EULA was changed.
When this was changed Johan? Shouldn't you give some notice to customers when removing such part:

LICENSE
[…]
YOU MAY:
[…]
(iv) after written notice to Franson Technology AB, transfer the Software on a permanent basis to
another person or entity, provided that you retain no copies of the Software and the transferee
agrees to the terms of this agreement;
[…]

It is not due.... but it would be fair.

So it depends when you customers bought the licenses.... I sold mine around one month ago and the satement was there.

I have other to sell and I will sell them since the EULA "in charge" when I bought the licenses had this possibility.

regards
mti

johan
GpsGate

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:47 pm

The intention of that paragraph is that you can sell you business to another party. Not to resell used licenses. The paragraph you refer to is also removed to avoid misunderstanding. It never had the intention you suggest.

Licenses need to be purchased from GpsGate. That can be good to know for any buyers.

If you resell new unused licenses, you need an agreement with GpsGate first.

If you have questions regarding the GpsGate license, please contact support@gpsgate.com first, to avoid any misunderstanding or misconceptions.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

mti

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

mti

dfrancis

Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 am

Here is my problem, I have customers who are in private investigations in the private sector. They want to have an additional login with no devices attached for clients to login and monitor there targets (spouses). To eneable them to have a guest account, this forces them to purchase another license for 49 to 50 dollars which is not reasonable and we are not willing to spend that money for and additional login just to provide someone access to monitor. There are so many ways to improve the system to be user friendly and allow everyone to have a win win.

If gpsgate does not want the issue of people no longer wanting or willing to promote or use there software, they should be willing to change the user base to allow multiple users with no additional licenses or charge and change the way devices are added to the system. What i mean is having user access separate from device user account in the system. Take away the device area from users and separate with device accounts.

I talked with Dave today and this was his whole problem and why his customers are leaving to go to other providers who offer multiple logins with no BS!

I for one like gpsgate, but i also feel that its becoming too expensive to continue a future with the software and keep customers happy unless we stop charging them for an additions login at 49 dollars. I lost two potential customers just last week because of this.

dwayne

dfrancis

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:01 am

I havent purchased the licenses as of yet. Dave lives in California and only 3 1/2 miles away. His price is very attractive right now since the price is lower than 49 or 50 per license and to the fact our and i mean OUR economy is crap right now. He is willing to install the licenses and if they don't work, i dont pay. Its that simple! The software he will be moving over shortly to is the same as FleetGPS uses and they only charge a per device license and NOT per user and Yes, they are a premium provider with round the clock support email or phone. The only reason I dont' change over right now is that I spent money on technical people setting up my current system and can't afford to change over at this time. But if the way licensing with gpsgate is not changed, i will have to dump this system as well and move over to there server software just to make customers have and also be able to compete with other providers as well.

If daves licenses work, i will buy, its just that simple, it all comes down to money and cutting costs to keep the customer base that i have and not losing them to someone else. GPSGATE already giot there money for those licenses, dave is just trying to get some of his investment back without losing more than what he has lost to date.

johan
GpsGate

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:24 pm

GpsGate is not a suitable platform for "private investigating" or any kind of girl friend/boy friend stalking business. We will not make development in that direction, and not encourage anyone to use GPS tracking that way.

We very much would like to see GpsGate be used in cases where integrity is kept for all involved parties, to give GPS tracking a good name.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

dfrancis

Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Thats not the only people who use the system, we also have two trucking companies which are nationwide and also one grocery delivery company. Private investigators do not stalk, they are governed by the attorney general to conduct lawful investigations and in different states in the USA authorized by penal code. Not sure how Private Investigator companies are looked upon in europe. We also have a bail bondsman who will also be joining for people who are out on bail. Authorized by the courts are integrity enough and signed off by councel prior to placing onto subject or vehicle.

As for the delivery and trucking industry, they require more user logins than the regular person.

dfrancis

Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:28 pm

For everyone emailing me which tracking device i'm changing too, well, its not me who has changed, its Dave. Email him directly. As for me, i'm still using gpsgate for right now unless the pocket book gets even more dry i will then change over. I'm still waiting to see if gpsgate takes all of our advise and if now, i will change then..

Nome

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 am

$49 USD for a single license is very very affordable especially for the features and support GGS has. I have worked in I.T/GIS for over 10 years and to me this is best value for money piece of software i have come across. Compare to ArcGIS/Daffron/DIgSILENT/supreima software i am dealing with at the moment, $49 per license is extremely cheap.

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”