husky92

Event notification to non-user recipients

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi!

Currently, as far as I know, there is no way to send notifications by SMS or email to other recipients than users of a VehicleTracker application. We would also like to promote the use of the GpsGate server solution to end-user (private market), and this limitation is a serious show-stopper for this. Most of these users will buy gps trackers for private asset protection or emergency situation, and it is important to be able to send notification to other recipients than the single user in VT.

Are there any plans for improving this in the near future? What are possible workarounds? And please, the answer in this case is not to buy more licenses. It does not make sense for end users to buy separate license only for notification recipients.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Oyvind

guytracker

RE: Event notification to non-user recipients

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:07 pm

I'd also like to see the notification field be a "free text" field so that one can enter any mobile number or email address.
Currently we use the trackers own notification system via SMS, but this requires programming both GPSGATE and the tracker correctly.

johan
GpsGate

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks for your feedback!

If this makes sense for other users, please post your comments here.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

hpi

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi,

I agree, this is definitely something that we are missing.

It is necessary to email and SMS notifications to people that are not users of the application.

Alot of times the user of the GPS tracking device wants to send SMS's to his family when he needs help, currently this is not supported from a Server's point of view.

Will definitely be a big selling point if we can send notifications to a list of people.

peetee

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:21 pm

I think we should simply extend the number of emails and phone numbers that can be assigned to a user. That wouldn't require to much job and the logic of event rulez would be kept untouched.

Regards,
Piotr

husky92

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi,

I am glad to see that I'm not the only one with this need. Thanks for the supporting arguments.

Regarding Piotr's suggested solution, I agree only if this will make a solution available more rapidly, but I is not the optimal solution. The event rule notification option should be able to differentiate notification to different recipients depending on which event rule we are using.

If recipients for an event rule notification should still be chosen by the use of tags, there must be a way of connection tags to recipients (mobile phone numbers or email addresses).

Best Regards,
Oyvind

guytracker

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:37 pm

@Peetee.

Yes and no. If I only want to send certain events to certain people, and other events to other people, your idea would make it complicated if not impossible to setup.

peetee

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Add more users and tag them to make groups. You can add a user that has no devices and just use him for notifications.

You can do all the things we are talking here about now but it simply requires more relicenses to buy and adding new users just to send emails/SMSes to them.

Regards,
Piotr

husky92

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi all,

As initially stated, it does not make sense to buy full VT licenses only for notification use. I agree with peetee' latest comment if a new type of user could be introduced which does not requre a license. This kind of user would have the role "recipient", and would not be able to login to the web interface, nor have a tracker connected. I assume this could be a cheap solution to implement. In such case, it should be possible for a non-administrator user to add such users, which would probably require som extensions to the Feature rights system.

B.R.
Oyvind

peetee

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:07 pm

that's why I vote now for a solution that would only require adding more emails/phone no. per user. So you can just add 1 user (with license) and use him for all the notification purposes. All other solutions will require much more job - like adding new user type that will not consume a license. But it's up to Johan to comment on that

Regards,
Piotr

bjoman

Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:23 am

Hi, i also agree this would open up a total new market if the email/sms notifying was unlimited and not linked to users. Really hope this will change in the future.

/Bjoman

husky92

Mon May 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi,

Is this thread dead?

It would be nice to have som feedback from GPSGate officials based on the comments already given. Our internal strategies depend on the roadmap for supporting this issue.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Oyvind

johan
GpsGate

Mon May 02, 2011 4:48 pm

We are reviewing the options and have no decision yet. Your feedback in this area will be considered and is of importance.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

piter197

Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 am

I vote for this SMS & email flexible notification, may be an address book for contact that do not need special license receiving SMS or email from Event Rules.

This will be very useful.

Regards,
Piteir

johan
GpsGate

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:35 pm

A User which only receives SMS and email notifications no longer needs a license.

Please follow those steps to upgrade:
1. Login to SiteAdmin. Go to "Plugins".
2. Upgrade all plugins listed as "red"
3. Go to "Get More Plugins" and install "Patch.3275"

Now create a Role which has no _DeviceLogin nor _WebLogin privilege

1. Login to VehicleTracker
2. Go to "Admin -> Features"
3. Make a copy of the "_Unit" Role
4. Remove the _DeviceLogin and _WebLogin privileges.

Now include any "notification only" users to this Role, and they will be able to receive email & SMS but not consume a license.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”