johan
GpsGate

ShapeFile / WFS geocoding - give feedback

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:46 pm

ShapeFile / WFS geocoding - give feedback

We are currently looking onto ways of using different kinds of files and databases for geocoding. Like shapefiles. This is to enable stand alone installations of GpsGate that does not require any external map service. And to enable regional installations where GpsGate currently don't support any map service.

Note! Geoserver can already be used to show shapefiles as maps http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/use_shap ... _geoserver

Please let us know your feedback, and specific requests in this area, and we will consider it. Post as reply in this topic or send info to support@gpsgate.com

Please note that it is not 100% certain we will release this upgrade, and we do not commit to actually implement any specific requested functionallity. If things go well we will have a new or updated plugin out in a month.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

limyo

RE: ShapeFile / WFS geocoding - give feedback

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 pm

I vote 100% to your idea make shapefile on GeoServer support Geocoder on GPSGateServer. I have complete map of my country in shapefile formate so if your company make it as geocoder is very good news and can reduce cost of third party web map license.

Reason why I don't want to use third party geocoder:
1- Google geocoder support both geocoder request position and address request but free API can request maximum 2500 per day and Premier API cost very expensive that we can not accept.
2- CloudMade geocoder is free, it support only geocoding position request but it not support address request for my country. Not only my country, most other countries also not support address request.

I suggest your company create plugin shapfile + geoserver geocoding for GPSGateServer, because it can help our service can reduce cost from third party map. From this we can compete with other competitor, that mean we can sell more and buy more licenses from your company.

Thanks
Best regards

Limyo

Nome

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 am

I seconded limyo's request.

Having Geoserver as the mapping component is just brilliant. I love it as i can put on anything i want and as i basically have full control.

I have a shape file of our village boundaries as polygons with village names in 1 column It would be great to be able to have the start and end address of my reports listed from this columns as the Google one is so off for my country.

So basically. It would be nice to have a geocoder that takes specific values from the polygon the vehicle point is on and use this as address. For example, if my car stops on a polygon with village name Vaitele. I would like for this value (Vaitele) to be used in the stop address in my reports.

I am not sure if this can be done but it would be nice if it can be done.

limyo

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 pm

It would be nice if geocoding can show detail as other web map service such as:
-House number or building name (Option if possible, currently not able for Cambodia)
-Street Number or Street Name
-City Name
-Postal code number(Option if possible)
-Administrative Area name include: Village, Sector, District and Country.
I suggest this idea because shapefile has different layers and all above information can be stored in database and display on map. I hope it could be used to display detail geocoding.

Thanks
Best regards

Limyo

yongly

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:23 am

I think it a very good idea to have shapefile geocoding for GPSGateserver.
It will make GPSgateserver run independently and no limitation of geocoding quota, can add any features on map as we want.
Most important is it can lower down cost if compare to Google Premier API.

Regards
Yonly

limyo

Sun May 01, 2011 9:11 pm

I suggest GPSGate company add shapefile map & shapefile geocoding integrate with GPSGateServer. To make GPSGate run stand alone without needing third party map service.

Currently I have difficulty with geocoding address request as describe in previous post.
I hope GPSGate company think about this idea.

Thanks
Best regards

Limyo

Bolt

Mon May 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Johan

Excellent concept............I can use it.

Cheers

JonasJ

Thu May 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for the input so far!

I am currently implementing this as a WFS (Web Feature Service) geocoder for the purpose of using your own data for geocoding. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Feature_Service.

If you have your own geographic data of your region (grouped in "layers" such as roads, cities etc) in a well-known data format (for example shapefiles) you can make it web accessible through a WFS. GpsGate Server can then use the WFS for reverse geocoding when doing reports etc.

You can set up your own WFS by using for example GeoServer. For data formats that can be published through GeoServer, see
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/data/index.html

When setting up a WFS, you specify which layers of data that are published. To be able to use it with GpsGate Server, your data will have to be mapped to the GpsGate "Location" object, so configuring the WFS geocoder will involve mapping your own data columns to the GpsGate Location object.

It will be possible to reverse geocode (a coordinate pair to an address) multiple layers. If you reverse geocode a position that overlaps both a city and a road in two different layers, that data could be mapped to a StreetName and a CityName. The StreetName and CityName could then show up as the address in a report for the vehicle that was on that position.

Geocoding the other way (an address to a coordinate pair) is not as ready yet. As a first approach I am thinking that you would specify a single layer (for example cities) for which you can send a geocoding request. Also, getting a single coordinate out of a layer that has polygon shape would probably meen getting the center coordinates of that polygon.

How does this sound? What would be usable to you?

Best Regards,
Jonas

limyo

Thu May 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Originally posted by JonasJ
It will be possible to reverse geocode (a coordinate pair to an address) multiple layers. If you reverse geocode a position that overlaps both a city and a road in two different layers, that data could be mapped to a StreetName and a CityName. The StreetName and CityName could then show up as the address in a report for the vehicle that was on that position.

This reverse geocoding with multi-layer is a good idea because it can show more detail street address, village, commune, district and city...

Best regards
Limyo

JonasJ

Fri May 13, 2011 8:01 pm

There is now a beta version of the "WFS" plugin ready for testing on real data. It currently handles reverse geocoding of geodata through a Web Feature Service (see previous post in this thread).

If you are interested in testing the WFS plugin on your own data, please contact support @ gpsgate.com for instructions how to install and set up a WFS.

Regards,
Jonas
GpsGate Support

JonasJ

Mon May 23, 2011 9:55 pm

The WFS geocoder provider now supports geocoding and reverse geocoding for WFS 1.0 and WFS 1.1.

I have published a blog post on how to use the WFS plugin (install GeoServer, install WFS and test that everything works). Check it out at this URL:
http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/wfs_geocode_gis_geodata_esri_arcgis_gpsgate_server

Best Regards,
Jonas
GpsGate Support

Nome

Wed May 25, 2011 1:22 am

Thank you Jonas

This is excellent work. Great stuff. Managed to get the tasmainian layer geocode working but not on my data yet. Still trying to find out why its not working yet with my data. Could be a projection issue. I am not sure. Will try to find out and provide feedback later.

Once again. Well done.

eastgear

Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 pm

We also can't get our data to work.

However we can view the layers.

Originally posted by Nome

Thank you Jonas

This is excellent work. Great stuff. Managed to get the tasmainian layer geocode working but not on my data yet. Still trying to find out why its not working yet with my data. Could be a projection issue. I am not sure. Will try to find out and provide feedback later.

Once again. Well done.

eastgear

Wed May 25, 2011 10:42 pm

What exactly is "ShapePropertyName"?

JonasJ

Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Your data must be exposed as WGS84 through the WFS. If setting up an on-the-fly reprojection of your data (as I describe in the blog post) in GeoServer does not work, there are other tools to convert the data to WGS84 before adding it to GeoServer, check out "gdal"
http://www.gdal.org and "ogr2ogr" for example. What is the reference system of your data?

"ShapePropertyName" is a way for you to tell the mapper the name of your shape/geometry field in your layer. In XML, that field is the one that will contain the geograpich data (GML)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_Markup_Language
The shape/geometry field is typically named "the_geom" for a layer in GeoServer. You should add one ShapePropertyName mapping per layer that you use.

Regards,
Jonas

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”