johan
GpsGate

RE: Plugin: Clickatel SMS

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Yes, you typically want to have an Administrator without a tracking device. And then use that admin for SiteAdmin + all the applications you administrate.

Thanks for your feedback about how to make things easier to handle.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

guytracker

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks Johan. I found that I could use the site administrator throughout the various applications, which is useful. However I then need to create a "view" on the application that excludes "never seen" devices so that the administrator doesn't show on the vehicles list.
Maybe you want to address this too - only users with devices should be in the Vehicles list.
Maybe just make the "never seen" in the "views" excluded by default.

johan
GpsGate

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Yes, and that is possible to do.

Please take a look at "Application Templates". More info here: http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/using_application_templates

Use Features and Roles to make sure the users of the applications only get access to the functionallity they. More info: http://gpsgate.com/blogComment/roles_and_features

When you create a new application, you select an Application Template from which you copy the settings to the new application. In this way you can create an application with a specific purpose instantly without repeated additional configuration.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Twinduct404

Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Sorry to bump this old thread, but rather keep the info allocated in one place.
Just wanted to know how I would go about setting this up with using an MO number?

As I understand it, the MO is just needed if you A) want to receive SMS from the device and B) want to send commands.
Currently I do not need either function (MO number is kinda expensive in SA). I simply need the software to send a SMS when an event runs. Is this possible without an MO?

I'm getting stuck with is inserting the 'URL':
http://api.clickatell.com/http/sendmsg?api_id=1234&user=foo&password=xyz&from=4412345676

Do I just leave out the "&from" parameter? Or is it needed?

Also when setting up the SMS proxy, I can't save the details inside the SMS proxy page, as it doesn't allow it to be saved without a 'number'.

Sorry if these points have been covered before.

johan
GpsGate

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Yes, if you only intend to send outgoing SMS you do not need any MO (Mobile Originated) number.

Yes, I think it should be possible to simply leave out the "&from".

Simply insert a made up phone number in the SMS entry. Since you are not using incoming SMS, the server has no phone number, and it does not matter what that number is.

The Terminal is a great tool for testing, use it send SMS to the registered phone numbers on your server. More info about the Terminal here:
http://forum.gpsgate.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10740

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Twinduct404

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks for the response Johan.
Will test this afternoon and get back to you.

hpi

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:28 pm

@ Twinduct404 :

Hi, please note that you must remove the 'from' parameter. This is because all the networks in SA ( mtn,vodacom,8ta etc) have started to block any sms from clickatell with a 'from' parameter. I had this issue a few days ago. After removing the 'from' parameter all is good again.

Twinduct404

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:46 pm

@HPI
Thanks! WESPA I assume? :p

As per my response earlier, Will test this afternoon! Its good to hear that the system works in SA, one less thing to pinpoint.

john.survey.2010

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 am

Hi,
Failed to get it work.
This is what I did.
1. Installed Clickatell Plugin
2. Admin>settings>sms
a. Proxy user login - random (non existent user on the system), random password
b. Random phone number as I wont be using two way messaging.
c. server hostname - my server's ip address
d. Enable SMS proxy - Checked.
3. Admin>Service>Providers> selected clickatell
a. Gave it a random name
b. typed URL as http://api.clickatell.com/http/sendmsg?api_id=(my id)&user=(my)&password=(my)
c. Left all other fields blank
d. Checked Default Provider
e. clicked save
4. Went back to Admin>settings>sms and sent a test sms. It said test sms sent ok.
5. In the terminal, status says "PermanentFailure"
6. Log is appended below:
2012-01-02 12:53:34.6836 | Error | 4 | Queue.m_SendItem | Franson.Message.QueueFatalError | Franson.Message.QueueFatalError: ERR: 107, Empty message
at GpsGate.Clickatel.ClickatelProvider.SendOutgoing(ProviderMessage provMsg)
at GpsGate.Online.Net.QueuedMessageProvider.Send(Queue queue, QueueItem item)
at Franson.Message.Queue.m_SendItem(IQueueSender sender, QueueItem item, Boolean bRequiresAck)

Help Appreciated !
Thanks

johan
GpsGate

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:03 pm

The error back from ClickaTel is "ERR: 107, Empty message". Could it be that you try to send an empty SMS?

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

john.survey.2010

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 pm

I sent a test message from within the application.
Admin>settings>sms and sent a test sms. It said test sms sent ok. But actually didnt go through.
Clueless !!
Will associate a test number with one of the users and will see if that goes through.
Thanks

johan
GpsGate

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:14 pm

To test your Clickatel account, please use a normal browser like Firefox and enter the folloing URL:

http://api.clickatell.com/http/sendmsg?api_id=(api id)&user=(username)&password=(pw)&to=(phonenumber)&text=(message)

Where (api id) is clickatell API ID, (username) is clickatell username, (pw) is clickatell password, (phonenumber) is international phone number starting with country code (e.g. 155512345" for North America) and finally (message) is the message to send.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

john.survey.2010

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks for the clue Johan,
The problem was identified.
There were special characters in the password at clickatell account which were not allowing sms to go through.
Removed them and sms's are going now.
Thanks

daveW

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 am

I've followed the steps above (except I didn't open port 8080 since I'm only sending SMS out) but when I use "Send Test SMS" (to a number which is not that of a device/user), I get message "Unexpected Error". Should I have also downloaded GpsGate SMS Proxy, which isn't mentioned above? I assumed that this was only required for a local phone.

Logfile_2012-04-12.log contains:
2012-04-12 20:22:50.1093 | Info | 8 | GpsGateClientCmd.m_SendCommand | oToSend $FRCMD,,_PlainText,Inline,This is a test SMS*49
, Connection _SYSTEM@localhost |
2012-04-12 20:22:51.2343 | Error | 8 | GpsGateClientCmd.CmdToServer | GpsGate.Client.GateCommandException | No Message Queue (e.g. SMS Proxy) setup.
2012-04-12 20:22:51.2500 | Error | 8 | SmsProxyControl.HandleError | GpsGate.Client.GateCommandException | No Message Queue (e.g. SMS Proxy) setup.
2012-04-12 20:22:51.2500 | Error | 8 | SmsProxyControl.HandleError | GpsGate.Client.GateCommandException: No Message Queue (e.g. SMS Proxy) setup.
at GpsGate.Client.GpsGateClientCmd.CmdToServer(FRCMD cmdToServer)
at GpsGate.WebControls.SmsProxyControl.btnSendTestSMS_ServerClick(Object sender, EventArgs e) |
2012-04-12 20:22:51.3125 | Warn | 4 | GpsGateClient.m_ReadCallback | System.ObjectDisposedException | Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'Server closed connection localhost'.

johan
GpsGate

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 am

No you should not install GpsGate SMS Proxy, since you don't use it.

Maybe you missed step "8. Select "DefaultProvider" under "Configure GpsGate Server" in the guide above.

Regards,
Johan

GpsGate Support

Return to “GpsGate Server - How to setup and use”