WEBDelpilot

Installing GPS Gate

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:31 pm

I use a custom navigation program that cannot connect on any Com Port other than COM1. My DGPS is presently configured on COM1. This custom program not only reads from COM1, but also writes to COM1.

I now need to use an additional nav program at the same time with this program that is on COM1.

If I set up my DGPS to be on COM2, would GPSGate create virtual COM Ports on 1, 3, 4, etc.? Would I still be able to write to COM1 from my first program? The added application is read only.

Or, could I leave my DGPS on COM1, use my primary navigation program as it is on COM1 and have GPS Gate create a virtual Com Port on COM2, 3, etc.?

Thank you.

richardhula

RE: Installing GPS Gate

Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 am

Assuming you are using a Windows XP based PC, COM 1 is the generic COM port assigned by the OS. Even if its not physically there it will appear under Device Manager. It's the one that hooks up with an expansion port device on a laptop without COM ports. Consequently if you feed GpsGate with GPS on say COM 2 it's unlikely it will let you assign a virtual COM 1 as output, as it's already assigned.

Connecting GpsGate & your first application to same COM port is a no no, in fact that's the main reason for using GpsGate. That aside you can set up a virtual COM port that will allow return data back to the port used as input to GpsGate.

Regards - Richard

johan
GpsGate

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Try to follow those steps:

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Double click on "System"
3. Go to the Hardware tab
4. Click on "Device Manager"
5. Click on "Ports (COM & LPT)
6. Right click on "COM1"
7. Select "Properties" in the pop up menu.
8. Click on the "Ports settings" tab
9. Click on "Advanced..."
10. Select "COM2" as COM Port Number"
11. Click OK on all open dialogs.

Now you COM port is COM2, and not COM1

Now it is time to configure GpsGate

1. Start GpsGate
2. Set COM2 as Input
3. Set COM1 and some other COM ports as Output.

Now you should be able to connect your old app to COM1, and the new apps to the other ports you created.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

WEBDelpilot

Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:54 pm

Johan,

I've confirmed I can change my DGPS device from COM1 to COM 2, so it looks like I should be good to go.

One final question. I need to operate my laptop using a very restricted Limited User Account. If I set GPS Gate up how I want it under the Administrator account, will it run ok under the LUA? Are there any special steps I need to take to enable it to run under the LUA?

Thanks for the help.

johan
GpsGate

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:05 pm

In that case you should use "Shared Settings"

1. Open the GpsGate Settings dialog
2. Go to the "Advanced" tab
3. Make sure you click "Show more options"
4. Check "Share settings for all user accounts".
5. Setup GpsGate the way you want it.

In "Shared settings mode" you need to be administrator to change the settings of GpsGate, and all users will share the same settings.

The other option is to simply configure GpsGate when logged in as LUA, but in that case LUA will be able to change the settings, and the settings will not be shared.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

WEBDelpilot

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:00 pm

That's great !

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”