howardn

Multiple GPS's

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:00 am

How does the product work if I have two GPS's on two com ports? So far it sees the first one, but I cannot get any applications to connect to the ports you create for access. Maybe it's the second GPS causing the problem????

H

johan
GpsGate

RE: Multiple GPS's

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 am

What do you want to do with your two GPS devices? How do you want to connect them to your applications?

Have you run the GpsGate Wizard?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

howardn

Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:52 pm

I have two GPS's because I want redundancy. My navigation program supports port priority so that it listens to one and then switches to the second if the first goes silent for more than X seconds. The Wizard picks up the first GPS only which may be fine. I just wondered what your program did with multiple GPS's and I think the answer is "nothing". Is that true?

H

richardhula

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:11 am

Hi Howard

I would have thought that selecting multiple inputs on GpsGate would allow two or more NMEA sources of whatever type to be selected. I have used this sucessfully with GPS, Boat & AIS data & even ok with different baud rates. The multiplexed result just streams out of GpsGate.

Using two separate GPS sources probably creates more problems than it solves though. Target hopping when stationary etc.

Its worth noting that many of the latest GPS engines have built in redundancy error checking (RAIM, WAAS etc.). I have been using GPS in the aviation & marine environment since 1990 with few problems.

Regards - Richard

isenberg

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 am

I tried to use two gps-receiver as incoming sources and use one virtual comport as outgoing. I can confirm position-hopping, because both receivers never give out exactly the same position. In addition to that, if just one receiver has a fix, a gps-software switches between fix and no fix, every second. :-)
Howardn, to use gpsgate with two receivers and your navigation software, you can use two different instances (Advanced-tab) in gpsgate. Assign two different virtual comports to every instance, and your navigation-software can decide by priority, which comport it uses.

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”