zorak

Tracker program? or alternative?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:20 am

I recently purchased a PocketPC (running Windows Mobile 5.0) with Navigation software.
I wanted to install a program that logs my location so I could view my travels on Google Earth.
I knew that I would have a problem running both my navigatinal software and a logger progam on my PocketPC at the same time, as only one program would be able to access the data from the GPS reciever.
That's why I was very pleased to find about about GpsGate and I downloaded it.
It works very well.
Now I just needed to find a location logging program.
I can see that GpsGate has a built in location logging feature, but it only logs my entire track, and I need a logging program that enables me to manually enter waypoints. (for example, if I want to mark the location of a specific place with importance I visited during my travelling day)
So I ran a search on google and to my surprise I found that franson has another PocketPC program called "Tracker" (franson.com/tracker)that works along with GpsGate.
I downloaded and installed it but it doesn't recognize my version of GpsGate and I get a messeage saying that GpsGate isn't installed on my PocketPC (of course it is).
So my question to you, GpsGate team, is there a way to make your "Tracker" program work? Or can you offer a different PocketPC program that enables logging my entire track, as well as specifing certain special points of interest?

johan
GpsGate

RE: Tracker program? or alternative?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 am

"Tracker" is no longer supported.

But... if you specify in detail what you want GpsGate to look like in the future we wil always listen and consider.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

zorak

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:49 am

Alright, here is what I think the position log feature should be like:
1. It should create a GPX file, not a NMEA file.
2. There should be a choice to select when a location record should be added. Either every X seconds or every Y miles.
3. It should record a time stamp with each location record, so I'll know what time it was when I was at that location (good for geotagging photos)
4. There should be a button that enables you to add a very short text description of your location when you pressed the button.
This will enable you to mark a location that you don't only want to appear on your track, but that holds specific significance.
For example, let's say I'm traveling through New York City. Every five seconds the logging program records my location so later I could see my walking track. But then I arrive at the Empire State building. I want to remember that this isn't just a point I passed, but a position of importance. So I take the PocketPC out of my pocket and press "Mark my location as a way-point." Then I write "Empire State Building." When I download this file to my computer and do the necessary conversions with GpsVisualizer, I would see my entire track, as well as my specifically entered tag of the location of the Empire State building.
Thanks.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:44 pm

Your feedback is appriciated. We will work a whole lot more with tracks, and we are always open for good ideas. If more things crosses your mind, please let us know, or if any else in this forum has additional ideas, please post a reply.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

richardhula

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:49 pm

3. It should record a time stamp with each location record, so I'll know what time it was when I was at that location (good for geotagging photos)

You have this already. Assuming your GPS engine outputs the NMEA RMC sentence, & most do, there is a time & date field within it as well as position.

Regards - Richard

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”