Bongo

Ipaq 6915 - Fugawi/TomTom - Port conflict

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi, hope someone can help before i throw my Ipaq and my self out of the window!!

I recently bought an Ipaq 6915 which came bundled with TomTom 6, I installed Fugawi UK digital maps on my desktop pc and transferred some maps to the Ipaq with no problems. When i open Fugawi on the Ipaq i got the message

Port Error = Communications Error 55 Invalid Port Handle

After i googled the problem i installed an earlier driver for TomTom which supposedly stops TomTom from hogging the GPS port, still no luck!

I then came across GpsGate which i purchased and installed on the ipaq.

After running the wizard i get the message: Found COM7 Do you want to use the device? I selected yes, and ticked the options to share with NMEA applications, Share over Bluetooth and share over ActiveSync and then answered yes to the prompt Do you want TomTom to use GpsGate as input

GpsGate settings are then as follows

INPUT TAB COM7 set as input
Green icon with message Gps data with valid position, Running OK!

OUTPUT TAB
The Active output box has the following:
GpsGate Direct
Virtual COM2
ActiveSync
Bluetooth Server (SCN 25)

GPS settings on Ipaq are

PPROGRAMS TAB
GPS Program port: GPD1

HARDWARE TAB
GPS HARDWARE PORT: COM7
BAUD RATE: 4800

TomTom works fine with a GPS fix, but Fugawi still shows the error
Port Error = Communications Error 55 Invalid Port Handle

Hope someone can give me some advice, before i go crazy!!
Many thanks
Bongo

richardhula

RE: Ipaq 6915 - Fugawi/TomTom - Port conflict

Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:14 pm

I have iPAQ hw6915 with TomTom6 & GpsGate configured exactly as your set-up. Works fine using TomTom + other applications simultaneously. I have all my maps + most applications on my storage card (Integral 2MB)

Suggest you contact Fugawi as this problem has no connection with GpsGate. It may be just a matter of changing set-up to check for GPS signal on COM2. Failing that you may have to edit registry to force it to look at COM2. I recommend MobileRegistryEditor (Free) which runs on PC & accesses iPAQ registry via ActiveSync.

Incidentally your message suggests you just transferred the Fugawi maps. Can I assume you also installed the Fugawi application on your iPAQ as well?

Regards - Richard

Bongo

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:15 am

Hi Richard,
Thanks for getting back, Fugawi is installed on the Ipaq, i have also changed the registry setting on the Ipaq to 2 H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Fugawi/PocketPc/CommPortNumber/2

When i open Fugawi now i dont receive the error message but i still dont get a GPS fix, the P in the top right corner of the Fugawi screen is greyed out and has a X through it, i take it this means the port is not open, also when i tap the GPS info button all the settings are empty.

I emailed Fugawi on Thursday but am still waiting a reply from them.

Do you have any more ideas i can try?

Thanks
Bongo

richardhula

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:52 pm

Looks like the answer will lie with Fugawi. A shot in the dark but worth a try:

Using Registry editor which it seems you have, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ ControlPanel \ GpsSettings

Here you will find a key called "Hide" with its value set to 1. Change it to 0 (zero).

Ater soft reset you will find GPS icon under Setting/System. This controls the Windows GPS Intermediate driver to allow (dubious) sharing of GPS. Tap icon & change program port to COM2 (default GDP1). Tap hardware tab & check that GPS hardware port is COM7 (default). Leave access set to Manage GPS automatically. Try running Fugawi WITHOUT GpsGate running.

Above instructions will ensure that Intermediate driver is used (factory default). GpsGate should still work correctly although it may be better to turn off automatic GPS management.

A final idea: Set Fugawi input to COM7; turn off GPS management & try Fugawi - this will allow exclusive direct access to GPS.

Richard

Bongo

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:23 am

Thanks Richard
Will not have a chance till tomorrow to try your ideas, ill let you know what happens, fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again

Bongo

Bongo

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Richard
Tried everything you suggested but still cant get Fugawi to work with the GPS. As you say, the problem probably lies with Fugawi, so ill wait to see if they get back to my email. Just to check im not doing anything stupid, Fugawi is installed on the Ipaq, but there is no dedicated Fugawi interface to change settings, i have to use the registry editor to change port numbers etc, do you know if this is correct?

Ill let you know if i hear anything from Fugawi, glad someone was willing to help.
Thanks

Bongo

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”