Before condemning your GPS, try the following:
1) Run Vista through Windows Update to bring it bang up to date.
2) Get the latest driver from the vendor Web site for your GPS unit and then update Windows via Device Manager.
3) Log onto Vista using an administrative account.
4) Exit all apps.
5) Run GpsGate as an application rather than a service.
6) Run the GpsGate Wizard and let it discover your GPS receiver.
7) In the Advanced tab, click on "Show More Options".
In the Output tab, add in a "Virtual COM Port" and note the number.
9) Keep adding more vCOM ports until you have reached COM11:
10) Now remove all vCOM ports below COM9: (ie. you are left with three, 9, 10 & 11) in the Output tab window.
11) Start up CoPilot and configure it for NMEA input on COM9:
12) If this works, then configure your next application on COM10: (etc.) - ONLY one app per COM: port!
13) If you are still having problems, check the Power Options in Vista and prevent it from powering down any USB ports.
14) ONLY GpsGate should ever access the GPS unit directly.
Good luck! [:)]