maus92

iPAQ rx5915 tomtom 6

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:55 am

I can't get tomtom 6 to work with gpsgate 2.5 on the HP iPAQ 5915 with the built-in GPS- I've tried all the tricks noted in the forums, including the registry hacks and the changing the output in the GPS control panel to the virtual com port created by gpsgate... Any ideas?

johan
GpsGate

RE: iPAQ rx5915 tomtom 6

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 am

Please read this:
http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5397

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

richardhula

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Just purchased iPAQ hw6915 & was surprised to find that WM5 OS allows multiple programs to access built-in GPS output. If your application requires direct access to GPS source it can be found on COM7 - they suggest baud rate set to 57600.

Johan's article dated 9/10/2006 suggested registry change needed to make this work.

Strictly speaking GpsGate is not needed therefore for local sharing unless application requires direct access, but helps with Active sync or Bluetooth connection to share GPS on PC. The GpsGate wizard finds signal on GPD1 which I assume is output from MS API.

Richard

maus92

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:29 am

This is what I am doing. In the GPS CP, Programs and hardware dropdowns are set to (NONE.)Running GPSGate setup wizard, GPS Gate reports no GPS found (I unchecked the Garmin and Wireless Bluetooth options since the GPS is bult into the rx5915.) Using the Manual box, the GPS is found on Com1. From there, I can setup a virtual comm port for Anywhere Map (an aviation program) to use, and it works. However, TomTom 6 cannot find a GPS. BTW, there is no way to configure TomTom 6 to use a specific comm port - either in the programs preferences section, or via the registry.

I tried the solution re: ID=5397, and that does not work, at least with this unit.

It appears that the output of the internal GPS is comm1, and if another program accesses comm1 (either GPS Gate, or the aforementioned Anywhere Map,) the TomTom cannot find the GPS.

I am open to more suggestions...

Thanks!

Yemble

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:11 am

In my experience, the PPC v5 native virtual "shared" COM: port is pretty much less than useless! Many applications, TomTom included, will not operate with this port if another application is also accessing it.

This is the whole point of GpsGate, since it will multiplex the single GPS source COM: port into a number of descrete virtual COM: ports. You can then dedicate a different virtual COM: port to each of your applications. For example, I multiplex my PDA hardware GPS COM5: port to a virtual COM6: port for TomTom and a COM7: Bluetooth port for running Memory-Map on my laptop.

Your suggested baud rate intrigues me. The NMEA standard is 4800, which makes me wonder if you are running the GPS in SiRF binary mode (or similar). Note that I have an ASUS PDA, not an HP one, so my comments may not be 100% applicable.

maus92

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:24 am

After some experimentation, I seem to have devised a working setup for both TomTom 6 and Anywhere Map to share the output from the internal GPS.

In the GPS CP, Anywhere Map recommended that both the program port and hardware port be set to NONE, and the access tab checkbox for Magnage GPS Automatically be unchecked. This will not work.
The following settings will work. The Program port should be set to Com7, and the Hardware port set to Com1. The Manage GPS automatically checkbox should be checked to enable. (I'm not sure why this needs to be done since GPSGate is redirecting the GPS output, but nevermind for now...)

Then in GPS Gate, configure the Input to Com7, 9600 baud, and create a virtual commport for the output. I created Virtual Com2, then in the Anywhere Map setting, I configured the GPS communications port to Franson COM2.

Both the TomTom6 Navigator, and Anywhere Map can use the data from the internal GPS.

Next, I am going to stress out the rx5915 by running a third GPS program, Maptech Pocket Navigator to see if I can get all 3 running simultaneously....

richardhula

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:24 pm

In my experience, the PPC v5 native virtual "shared" COM: port is pretty much less than useless! Many applications, TomTom included, will not operate with this port if another application is also accessing it.

Not surprised to hear above comments however the pre-installed TomTom 5 on my hw6915 & GpsGate 2.5 do work simultaneously with no changes to standard set-up. I would guess this is because TomTom is receiving on COM7 & GpsGate on GPD1.

The baud rate & direct access COM port mentioned are quoted from the HP manual. I know baud rate is not an issue with virtual ports & maybe with the GPS output from the MS API on this device as well. All GPS dependant applications I run on my laptop are set to highest port speed of 57600 & work fine when fed from GpsGate virtual ports. At least I know there are no bottle necks then.

Regards - Richard

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”