nosben

Splitting GPS Signal

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Hello,

I am using the following gear and want to know how best to split my GPS Signal to 2 locations.

WS5011 USB GPS Receiver
Cobra VHC/DSC Radio
Laptop

I want to run the GPS signal into the laptop and into the radio. I figure there are 3 ways I can see this working.

1. Split GPS signal using some sort of hub/multiplexer and split out to laptop via USB, and to radio using the NMEA0183 signal.

2. Run GPS signal into laptop, loop out of laptop and connect to radio.

3. Run GPS signal into radio, loop out of radio and connect to laptop.

Will GPSGate be my solution to do this?

If the best answer is #1, can you please recommend which multiplexer/switch I should use.

Regards,
Ben Wiper

Ben Wiper
Nerds On Site
902-980-0989
Serving Halifax and Lunenburg Counties

johan
GpsGate

RE: Splitting GPS Signal

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:10 pm

GpsGate can help you to achive solution "2."

Set the Input to receive your GPS, then you can create Virtual Ports to which you connect GPS applciations running on your laptop, and you can add a COM port a output, which you can use to redirect GPS data out to your radio.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

nosben

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:12 pm

Hello Johan,

Thank you for the information.

How about the USB patch cable that attaches to the radio? Do you know where I can buy them? I am guessing that there are many different types of connectors to the radios (do you know what the names of the different connectors are - I know one is NMEA+/- two wires). Do you sell or know who does sell USB to NMEA patch cables for example?

Thanks,
Ben

Originally posted by johan

GpsGate can help you to achive solution "2."

Set the Input to receive your GPS, then you can create Virtual Ports to which you connect GPS applciations running on your laptop, and you can add a COM port a output, which you can use to redirect GPS data out to your radio.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Ben Wiper
Nerds On Site
902-980-0989

johan
GpsGate

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:25 pm

I have no idea. If anyone else in this forum has some suggestions, please make a post!

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

richardhula

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi Ben

I think what you need is a USB-COM port adaptor. They are readily available from computer stores but buy a reputable make as indifferent results with cheaper ones.

Once installed on your laptop it will give you physical COM port that will show up in Device Manager. Make a note of number & you should find this same COM port available as output from GpsGate. You will then need to make up an NMEA lead to connect adaptor to your radio. It will almost certainly have a DB9 connector - connect the NMEA+ on radio to pin 3, NMEA- pin 5. Note the radio will probably have an NMEA output to transmit DSC distess messages so don't get confused.

Once working you should be able to display your position on the radio & have it available for distress calls & position reports to other boats.

Other laptop applications can be fed with GPS signal by creating virtual COM ports with GpsGate, one for each.

Regards - Richard

nosben

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:46 pm

All is well and good with that reply and appreciate the input. But the problem for me comes with your instruction to "make up an NMEA lead". I have no clue how to do that - can't I just buy a patch cable? I have no idea what kind of patch cable to use to get from the com port to the radio and I know that it will vary from radio to radio..

What I'm really looking for is an electrician company that specializes in building custom cables. Any ideas?

Regards,
Ben
Originally posted by richardhula

Hi Ben

I think what you need is a USB-COM port adaptor. They are readily available from computer stores but buy a reputable make as indifferent results with cheaper ones.

Once installed on your laptop it will give you physical COM port that will show up in Device Manager. Make a note of number & you should find this same COM port available as output from GpsGate. You will then need to make up an NMEA lead to connect adaptor to your radio. It will almost certainly have a DB9 connector - connect the NMEA+ on radio to pin 3, NMEA- pin 5. Note the radio will probably have an NMEA output to transmit DSC distess messages so don't get confused.

Once working you should be able to display your position on the radio & have it available for distress calls & position reports to other boats.

Other laptop applications can be fed with GPS signal by creating virtual COM ports with GpsGate, one for each.

Regards - Richard

Ben Wiper
Nerds On Site
902-980-0989

richardhula

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Ok you should be able to buy an NMEA/RS232 cable probably from the same computer store you buy the USB adaptor, which will allow you to connect to it. No idea what connectors are used on your radio though. My ICOM uses RCA type - suitable connectors should have been supplied with radio. In any case its not rocket science ;-)

Richard

nosben

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 pm

So most radios comes with the necessary cable to connect into it's own GPS port/connection? If so, then I'd just have to find out a way to go from the one end to USB/serial..

Thanks,
Ben

Originally posted by richardhula

Ok you should be able to buy an NMEA/RS232 cable probably from the same computer store you buy the USB adaptor, which will allow you to connect to it. No idea what connectors are used on your radio though. My ICOM uses RCA type - suitable connectors should have been supplied with radio. In any case its not rocket science ;-)

Richard

Ben Wiper
Nerds On Site
902-980-0989

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”