richardhula

GPS Gate 2.0 - TCP/IP server

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:06 pm

I have an application that outputs raw NMEA data (position & boat instrument sentences) as TCP/IP client. I need to send this data to another application via virtual COM port. For this to work GPS Gate needs to act as TCP/IP server on input. Can this be done?

johan
GpsGate

RE: GPS Gate 2.0 - TCP/IP server

Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:24 pm

Yes, no problems. GpsGate can act as a TCP/IP server on input as well as output.

Follow those steps:
1. In the folder "c:\program files\Franson\GpsGate 2.0\Chains" there is a file named "com.franson.tcpserver.chain.ggxml"
2. Open that file in Notepad
3. Add a line as marked in bold below

<GpsGate>
<Chain>
<ID>com.franson.tcpserver.chain</ID>
<FriendlyName>TCP/IP Server</FriendlyName>
<PlugIn>
<ID>com.franson.tcpserver</ID>
<FriendlyName>TCP/IP Server</FriendlyName>
<ClassName>GatePlugInXP.TcpServerPlugIn</ClassName>
<OutputEndPoint>1</OutputEndPoint>
<InputEndPoint>1</InputEndPoint>
</PlugIn>
</Chain>
</GpsGate>

Gpsgate is very flexible in the way it can be configured and used. We are soon about to releasae some more tools and information for advanced users and developers on how GpsGate can be further customized and extended.

4. Now start GpsGate again, and you will find "TCP/IP Server" as an input option last in list.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

richardhula

Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Thanks for help Johan - it seems to be working to my requirements & I shall be purchasing product.

One further query, I have GPS Gate server input set to "default" network, accessing data via localhost (127.0.0.1). I seem to remember running into problems when I use WiFi (Wireless LAN). After SP2 update, Windows changes default to the Wireless LAN. Would it be better to set GPS Gate to my BroadCom Ethernet adaptor?

johan
GpsGate

Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:15 pm

It depends on which net you want the server on. Which net is the data coming from?

You have a special configuration where you wanted TCP/IP server as Input. You can have TCP/IP servers on multiple network cards both as input and as output in GpsGate. Here are some examples of how you can do it:

Advertising a TCP/IP server on multiple network cards as Input, using the same data stream:
1. Copy your modified "com.franson.tcpserver.chain.ggxml" file to the folder ChainsMux you find in the GpsGate program folder.
2. Select "Use multiple inputs (MUX)"
3. Add one input for each network card, and configure the added chain to use the selected card.

Advertising a TCP/IP server on multiple network cards as Output, using the same data stream:
1. Add one Output for each network card, and configure the added chain to use the selected card.

Note that you can also create multiple instances of GpsGate, and by doing that have mutiple independent data "routers". You can also route data between the different instances if so desired.

One more note is that if you select 0.0.0.0 as IP address, the server will be available on all IP addresses assigned to the selected network card. If you are unsure, always use that default setting.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

richardhula

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks again for useful info Johan. I have set TCP/IP server input to my Broadcom LAN network so if default network is changed by Windows, GPS Gate stays on the correct one for local network. It still works fine.

Have applied for licence but still awaiting email code.

Have set up GPS Gate to work as service & it works fine in background, but I get message box every time I boot saying "GPS Gate service is running. You need to stop the service". Clicking ok leaves the service running (its shown on Control Panel as started & on auto), but its annonying getting this message every time. How can I stop it?

I am using an Acer laptop running XP pro with SP2

johan
GpsGate

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:01 pm

1. Stop the service
2. Start normal GpsGate
3. Open the settings dialog
4. Go to the Advanced tab
5. Uncheck "Start GpsGate after boot"
6. Exit GpsGate
7. Re-start the service.

I will make sure this message is removed in the coming 2.0.1 release.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

sudhakar

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:25 am

Hi, I am in the process of considering this application on an OEM basis, but was wondering if the Express version of GpsGate can be configured similarly to act as a TCP/IP server on input. Thanks.

johan
GpsGate

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:50 am

The TCP/IP feature is not included in the Express license. You can see what is included and not at the bottom of this page:
http://franson.com/gpsgate/purchase.asp

To agree on an OEM license for the Standard version, please contact us here:
http://franson.com/gpsgate/support.asp

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”