sylvainp

GPSGate with 60 Csx and SA Watch could this work ?

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:40 am

Hi I have a new laptop without any Serial port and I wanted to test the accuracy of my new 60 Csx with SA Watch but my new laptop doesn't have any serial port so I need to use the USB on the laptop.

So I found GPSgate but I cannot make it work with SA Watch. I also tried the test with the Hyper Terminal and I get some data showing but for a reason it just doesn't work with SA Watch.

SA Watch need NMEA and a serial port. How do I setup GPSGate to use the USB port on my 60 Csx and Export the data in NMEA on a COM port ?

Is their incompatibility with GPSGate and 60 CSX and SA Watch ?

Thanks

johan
GpsGate

RE: GPSGate with 60 Csx and SA Watch could this work ?

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:50 am

Your report is noted. We'll see if we can do something about this in coming vertsions of GpsGate. (We have not tested GpsGate with SA Watch).

If any other user in this forum has any experiance using GpsGate with SA Watch, please make a posting!

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

sylvainp

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:55 am

Well I made further testing ans I was able to make GPSGate to work with SA Watch but only when I use the "Generic $GPGGA" which is not as informative and I don't get (EPE, Satellite in view, HDOD, etc.) from the GPS.

I also tried a friend Serial to USB cable and it work flawlessly on COM 1 With the GARMIN E Series and also the Garmin 12XL/II/III/45 in the GPS Type selection in SA Watch.

Well I wanted to use the USB cable because it will powered the 60CSX through the USB from my laptop.

I also put on the GPS the interface to NMEA. When I plug the USB cable their is a note: "The Garmin serial data format is disabled when USB is connected"

What does this mean ? I still get stream from GPSGate but it looks like it will only received from the GPS the Generic $GPGGA format. I will not have: GPS Status(GSA,GSV)

Well so far only Generic $GPGGA work with the 60 CSx with GPSGate and SA Watch.

Thanks

sylvainp

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:23 am

Here a reply I got from Garmin:

The unit does not output NMEA through the USB connection. The unit does have a NMEA selection for an output, but as NMEA is a serial signal, it would be available through a serial connection.

The only comment I could make on GPSgate is that it may not be processing the information correctly.

johan
GpsGate

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:40 pm

GpsGate converts the Garmin USB protocol to NMEA. And it seems to do it in a way that SA Watch dislikes.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Chris NZ

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:57 pm

A little challenge for you knowledgeable guys:

I have a little problem with my 60CSX you may be able to help with.
I was using the Measure Distance feature on the map and have ended up with a circle on the map screen I can't get rid of. It is centred on my house and goes out to a fishing spot at sea, the two points I was measuring between. Anyway, the manual is useless and after 20minutes of playing, I can't eliminate the circle overlaying the map. Choosing "stop measuring" does nothing.

Thanks.

richardhula

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi sylvainp

You could always purchase a USB-COM port adaptor. This would give you a COM port on your laptop to which you could connect the NMEA serial output from your Garmin.

Regards - Richard

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”