PaulPaul

GpsGate and Garmin GPSmap 78

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:24 am

Hi!

Simple question: does GpsGate support Garmin 78 series devices?
I've checked GpsGate client eval and it did not detect this device
Or I missed something in GpsGate configuration
?

richardhula

RE: GpsGate and Garmin GPSmap 78

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:09 am

GPSmap 78 provides NMEA 0183 output so yes it should work with GpsGate.

Richard

There no place like 127.0.0.1

PaulPaul

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Garmin 78 has 2 connectors actually
USB and some proprietary socket (round 4-pins)
Suppose this 4-pin socket is some sort of serial interface (with NMEA etc)
but the question is about USB
When I plug my garmin into USB socket of PC it appears as 2 removable drives (1 for internal memory and 1 for SD card)
Garmin invented something called PVT protocol for data transfer instead of NMEA.
using latest OziExplorer (3.95.5k) I can download whole track from navigator but instant real-time coordinates are not possible

so question is still open

(I do not consider separate cable and com->usb adapter now, it would be vary last solution)

richardhula

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:21 am

Yes the drives you see when you connect via USB are simply the storage areas (for charts) on your Garmin showing up as mass storage devices under Windows.

The NMEA output you need will likely be from the round 4 pin connector. Check with Garmin, they will probably offer a cable to connect to this with standard db9 serial port connector on the other end.

Yes you will then also need a serial->USB converter to hook this feed into your PC whether you like it or not, but it will then work with GpsGate.

I don't think the proprietary Garmin protocol you refer to will work with GpsGate, but even if it did note following:

"The Garmin protocol wasn't designed for real-time navigation purposes. Furthermore, since the protocol is bi-directional in nature rather than a streaming format like NMEA-0183, the synchronization between GPSy (the host) and the GPS unit client can get confused".

Richard

There no place like 127.0.0.1

JouniLappalainen

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:37 am

I've been happily using Gpsgate v2.6.0.340 for about a year with Bluetooth Gps.

Bought Garmin Gpsmap78 2 days ago. Franson setup wizard recognized Gpsmap 78 as Garmin/Nmea device when Garmin was connected to pc with serial/usb cable combo. Garmin serial protocol set to Garmin in GPS.
SeaClear II gets location, speed etc to emulated comport. However, downloading routes, tracks etc with g7towin requires unload of Wingate and "direct" comport setup to g7towin with "real" comport.
-jouni-

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”