knockatoone

vertual ports not available

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:05 am

When I last went in to "setting" to set up output ports every port below #6 were gone =not available to be added - need #1-4 ports for certain programs who default to one of those - any idea how to regain them ??
John

Knockatoone

richardhula

RE: vertual ports not available

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Read the topic four below on COM port enumeration. Even just checking with Device Manager may reveal what ports are already in use & therefore unavailable.

Richard

There no place like 127.0.0.1

knockatoone

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:38 am

Rich, thanks for the reference - a bit over my head butI get the idea but - fix not clear (to me) since I am not using blue tooth but simply trying to send GPS data (from USB connected GPS) to a couple navigation programs.GPS is a Garmin and they have little interest in tracking outside their GPS's..
Thanks again, John

Knockatoone

richardhula

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:08 pm

OK go to Control Panel>Device Manager. Look under following headers to see the COM/serial ports allocated below COM6:

Modems - look in device itself and click on Modem tab to see COM port allocated.
Mice & and other pointing devices
Ports (COM & LPT)

Look specifically for any COM port that has yellow exclamation mark by port icon. This means drivers have not been successfully installed. If you find such or indeed any others you don't need, right click on each & select uninstall to free up.

Typically COM1 will be Windows pre-allocated generic port. COM3 is usual modem port. Don't touch these.

Note that your Garmin USB device may appear with port allocation under Ports (COM & LPT). If this is occupying a lower port number try double clicking on it, then select Port Settings>Advanced. Here you will be able to change the port number to something higher & free up the original. Note you may then have to re-configure input to GpsGate.

Any COM port allocation you have free'd up should then be available for virtual port creation with GpsGate unless Windows has messed up.

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”