johan
GpsGate

Suggestions and ideas for GpsGate Client 3.0

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Suggestions and ideas for GpsGate Client 3.0

We will release a 3.0 version of GpsGate Client. If you have any ideas or feedback on what to be implemented, please post a reply here.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

richardhula

RE: Suggestions and ideas for GpsGate Client 3.0

Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:22 am

As well as icon for GpsGate service could we have icon for each instance (not just default) of GpsGate.

Thanks - Richard

Richard

There no place like 127.0.0.1

gloridas

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:23 am

<font size="6"></font id="size6"><font face="Arial">Hi Johan, I have been testing the GPSGate application on my HTC TyTNII PDA running windows Mobile 6 and I’m quite happy with the way it works.

Some suggestions after my customers' feedback as below:

1. Initial setup : Assuming my Users are really dumb users they may find it difficult to run thro’ the Wizard and key in all the information correctly. Is it possible for me to use .ggXML file with all the settings (including my HTTP server info etc) pre-entered in it and copy this file to right location immediately after running the .CAB installation file. With this can I eliminate the process of users going through setup (assuming I’m using same model phones running same version of Windows Mobile)

2. Each time the PDA battery goes flat or a soft reset is done, I need to do the settings again. Is there a way to fix this issue.
I looked into one of the threads in the forum discussing this topic, but just curious to find out if there is a solution (assuming I install GPS gate on Storage card)

3. Also I obtained feedback from some of my customers and they found the application is too technical for them. Ultimately they want to see only the “ONLINE screen” with option to enable / disable tracking.

Hope version 3.0 will make it more user-friendly for these end users.

</font id="Arial">

Laptop GPS World

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:40 am

GpsGate can use Garmin USB GPS units without any USB software drivers. Would it be possible to support other USB GPS receivers (such as GlobalSat BU-353, and other laptop USB GPS receivers) so they could be used without their own software drivers, but rather straight via GpsGate?

I see two potential benefits of such functionality:

1. When users experience issues with the existing software driver
2. When users have a USB GPS receiver, but they cannot locate the original software driver for their unit

gvp

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:35 am

"Permanent Backlight On" feature is very useful.

MobileCC

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:54 am

Locating rogue wireless LAN (WLAN) access points (tracking by Wi-Fi)
Remove bluetooth plugins and I would like to see plugins for temperature Analog, RS-232, or CAN data. Console version for Win CE.
USB connections

swingbeat

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Is it possible to add support for Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone)? At least for enterprise users, there are lots of WM6.1 devices out there, and if I'm implementing a tracking solution, having an unobtrusive smaller device is more helpful.

Neptunus

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:43 am

Hej Johan,

Well, congratulations for version 2.6. I honestly think that it is the best software I ever has purchased. Fits my need almost perfectly (on an onboard computer in a boat, Windows XP) and is priced in a reasonable way. It's technical quality is also pretty good.

But there are some improvements that would be handy. (I'm purely writing this from a Windows user's perspective.)

1. Talker ID handling. I had a situation where my integrated instrumentation sends NMEA-sentences with II as the talker ID. GpsGate can deal with that fine, but not all other software. I would like to have a feature that could replace all occurrences of for example $II with $GP. (This has been proposed earlier as well.)

2. Systray status icon for the service.

3. Improved status icon that can show the position as pop-up hint when you hover the mouse over it. Maybe other info as well and perhaps a configurable display. Handy, but not mandatory.

4. Better integration between the GUI and the service. Enable us to start the GUI when the service is running, and let the GUI alter the settings of the service on the fly.

5. Never use the system clock. The clock may be off and cause trouble with incorrect timestamps for example in gpsgate.com. If you have GPS signal, you also have correct time. Always use that, never the system's time. (This has also been discussed on the forum.)

6. Speed up service startup, or include a delay utility. Sometimes on a slow computer, an application started from the Startup group may load before the GpsGate service has registered the virtual COM-ports, and that mean trouble. Speeding up the service start is one approach. Another is to provide a utility that can start other programs with a delay. For example by processing a "LateStartup" group in the Start-menu when GpsGate is confirmed to be up and running.

7. Please do support dated operating systems. Many onboard computers are older and weaker, and there is no point upgrading. Windows XP will be just fine on these for many years.

Micke

kid

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:56 pm

can you send me a exact settings fo my mobile?

tshuo

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:02 am

Hi Johan, GpsGate for mobile phone is a great software to make my phone as a Bluetooth GPS. I hope it can provide a function that can let my phone keep running when the GpsGate is running automatically, not manual change power setting. turn off screen for batter saving as well.

Boatguy

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:13 am

1) Continue to support XP and make sure that new versions that support Vista or Seven don't break the implementation under XP.

2) Ability to edit NMEA filters. As far as I can tell it currently requires a delete / add which can be quite tedius for specific filters.

johan
GpsGate

Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:29 pm

2) If you remove an output, it will appear in the list of outputs you can add as a "history" item. If you add that item again, you will go though all steps with old data, and you have the ability to edit the data. In this case your filters.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Neptunus

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Any news about when v3 will be out?

Micke

GeorgeP

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:19 am

On NMEA playback, fix the can't go backward in time bug.

How to is actually simple. When GPSGate runs into a set of lines such as:
$GPRMC,141542,A,2939.3541,N,08453.2905,W,17.0,104.2,281109,3.1,W,D*2F
$GPGGA,141542,2939.3541,N,08453.2905,W,2,10,2.1,2.1,M,-28.6,M,,*72
$GPRMC,141544,V,,,,,,,,,,N*52
$GPRMC,141546,A,2939.3493,N,08453.2673,W,19.1,104.2,281109,3.1,W,D*24
$GPGGA,141546,2939.3493,N,08453.2673,W,2,09,1.7,2.2,M,-28.6,M,,*78

It will give the Can't read files which go backward in time error when it reaches the third line above. The file does not go backward in time, but GPSGate has run into a line it doesn't know what to do with. If the third line above is removed from the file, GPSGate will happily read the file. When that happens, just have GPSGate ignore the line and go to the next one until it finds a line that which can be acted on.

If you need a test file please let me know. I have several of them, just let me know how long you want the file.

f2retro

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Hello. It could be great if you realize in GPS gate client 3.0 (I use PDA version)password protected area - like you can't change any settings or exit programm without password. I have to give my PDA to my worker and he always changes the system settings or exit from program...

Return to “GpsGate Splitter - How to setup and use”