cord_

No services available on BT GPS receivers?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:07 pm

Testing different BT GPS receivers with the FindAndConnect sample tool I found none of them offering a BT service. Furthermore, the "RemoteDevice.DeviceClass" Property is returning a differnet value for each receiver (2014019923 for SysOn BT GPS 8153, 219429643 for Holux GPSlim 236 ...).
So how to identify a GPS-DeviceClass and how to find a service, since a service is needed to listen to a stream ?

Cord, Germany

Andreas2

RE: No services available on BT GPS receivers?

Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi!

The device class of a device consists of a major and minor device class. The major device class is the 16 most significant bits, and the minor is the 16 least significant bits, i.e.

Code: Select all

int majorDeviceClass = deviceClass >> 16;
int minorDeviceCalss = deviceClass & 0xFFFF;
Can the services of the devices be enumerated from the bluetooth control panel?

Regards,
Andreas Nilsson
Franson Support

johan
GpsGate

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:12 pm

Which hardware and version of Windows are you using? The problem is probably connected to the combination of hardware and Bluetooth driver you are using.

(I have used BlueTools with a Holux without any problems. I also recommend you to keep an eye on the latest beta released.)

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

cord_

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:36 pm

The problem is occuring only on a MDAII (QTek2020) PocketPC, containing the MS Bluetooth stack and WindowsMobile2003. On a Fujitsu Pocket LOOX 410 (Broadcom BT stack, WindowsMobile2003 SE) all services are detected by the "FindAndConnect" application. The NMEA stream gets displayed to the application window.

Cord

johan
GpsGate

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:46 pm

We'll look into this. I might contact you off forum for some more details.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

nelsona

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:42 pm

I am also experiencing difficulty in finding the service my app is supposed to be advertising. I have followed your sample Chat service code to advertise a service but my search and connect app cannot discover any services, although it can discover the device. I believe that I am advertising the service correctly in the code although the service is also not listed in the Bluetooth services list for the device in Bluetooth interface window. I am using Windows XP and using Microsoft stack.

... = remoteDevice.DiscoverServices(ServiceType.RFCOMM); //returns nothing
... = remoteDevice.Services; //returns nothing

Thank you.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:48 pm

You need to "Turn discovery on" in the MS Bluetooth configuration. Please follow those steps:

1. Open the Control Panel
2. Double click on "Bluetooth Devices"
3. Click on tab "Options"
4. Make sure "Turn discovery on" is checked. (By default this is unchecked)

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

nelsona

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:07 pm

Does that mean that I have to have "Auto Discovery" turned on in MS Bluetooth Config to make a service discoverable to a remote device? Is that not what "network.AutoDiscovery = true/false" is supposed to do? I would really prefer to turn on (and off) auto discovery from within the application...am I misunderstanding something?

Also, even having turned on auto discovery in MS config, I cannot discover any services that I created returning ServiceType "...new ServiceType(myguid, "MyBluetoothService")..."

If I set up my service to ServiceType.RFCOMM, the service is discovered but gives me a ServiceID (remoteService.ServiceID) of "0000-0000-...-0000" even though I set the serviceID in my LocalService to be myguid...

Thx again,

johan
GpsGate

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:17 pm

You misunderstand the asnwer I gave you. Please start by following the steps I gave in the last reply and see if it works. It says nothng about "Auto Discovery"

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

nelsona

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:42 pm

My apologies for the confusion...I now understand the difference between AutoDiscovery and making the device discoverable (ie. turning discovery on). However, I would ideally prefer to have a feature within Bluetools that I can use programmatically to make a bluetooth radio discoverable or connectable (or turn off for that matter) instead of having to turn it on in config window...

Are there any plans to include such a feature in future beta release?

Thx again,

cord_

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:13 pm

We tested the BlueTools Beta 6. It is not possible to discover any BT services on a MDAII (Qtek2020, HTC Himalaya) and MDACompact (Qtek S100, HTC Magician). However, everything works fine on a MDAIII (Qtek9090, HTC Blue Angel). Unfortunately, these first 2 devices are quite common in Germany.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:19 pm

This is fixed in beta7.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

cord_

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:32 pm

Yes, Thanks a lot, the problem is fixed with Beta7 !

Return to “BlueTools”