kunwei

bluetooth Active X and phone

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:08 am

Hi, Do you have bluetooth Active X?
I'm new in bluetooth.
I want to write a program using Win2000/XP to send a Picture/ringtone/Javagames/theme to mobile phone using bluetooth. Can you active X doing this?

Regards
Tan

johan
GpsGate

RE: bluetooth Active X and phone

Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:23 am

Yes, you can build that kind of applications using BlueTools. Currently only a .NET version is released, an ActiveX version is coming soon.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

kunwei

Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Where the Active X can finish? I only have 1 month to complete the project. And also, do i need to know the detail of the each handphone command to send the Picture/Ringtone/Javagames/Theme? Or i just press send the handphone can take care it self?

Thanks

johan
GpsGate

Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:11 pm

The current version of BlueTools only provides basic BlueTooth features like creating services, connecting to BT devices, reading and writing data and scanning the pico net for devices.

It does not include any higher level protocols for example filw transfer. It is up to the application developer to implement that.

The ActiveX version will be out in a week or two.

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

Peter S.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi,

Why isn't it possible to transfer files with BlueTools?

How do I implement file sending with BlueTools?

I used ActiveBlue activex control and had no problems transfering files.

Andreas2

Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi!

File transfers over bluetooth rely on a protocol called Object Exchange (OBEX), which is a high level, packet based protocol often used to transfer files, vCards and similiar over Bluetooth and IR. However, the current release of bluetools only provide support for lower level, binary transport protocols. Thus, it is possible to transfer files, but you will have to implement the OBEX communication first.

To summarize: to send a file, both parties must have a common language so they can exchange file names, sizes and other file properties. This is provided by OBEX. OBEX in turn sends data in form of binary data. This can be provided by BlueTools. Thus, you can run OBEX on top of BlueTools to send files, vCards, PIM data etc.

If you are interested in implementing this kind of functionality, a good way to start is by making a simple OBEX communication abstraction. You can find the OBEX specification at http://www.irda.org. The next thing to do is use your OBEX abstraction to send and receive packets to initiate a file transfer, and finally simply sending the file.

Regards,
Andreas Nilsson
Franson Support

Return to “BlueTools”