planetbill

GPSgate 100% Cpu Utilization!!

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi, I'm trialing your product. I am using it on a Gateway 64 bit 3400+ Amd cpu notebook. Anyway I noticed when it is running it takes my cpu from 0% to 100% cpu utilization and it stays there! This is without any cables plugged in or gps device available. If I kill the gpsgate.exe process it instantly goes back to 0% utilization. I really like the program but doubt I can use it if it pegs the cpu at 100% always. Do you have any idea why it does this or how to fix? Have you tested cpu utilization? If so have you done so on a 64 bit cpu?

Thanks, Bill

johan
GpsGate

RE: GPSgate 100% Cpu Utilization!!

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:52 pm

This is a bug of some sort. Normal load is well below 1%. Can you determine which feature in GpsGate that makes the CPU go up to 100%?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

planetbill

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:21 pm

I did another test. This time I plugged the USB cable connected to the Earthmate GPS in and rebooted with GPSgate running in the tray at startup. Cpu utilization was normal. So apparently this only happens if you boot with GPSgate at startup but have no gps devices attached.

Bill

stanswx

Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:50 pm

I use the Earthmate and do not experience the CPU load issues that you have described. What OS are you running?

Stan

ch1nmuzak

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:24 am

SCenario:

- WinXP Pro SP2 running our fleet's Panasonic CF51 laptops with GPSGate v 1.10J installed
- Using Rayming's TripNAV 2.X USB GPS. Strictly an NMEA based device.
- 2 in house GPS aware Apps running and actively listening for NMEA data on GPSGate Output VCP's on COM ports 7 + 8 respectively
- GPSGATE NMEA data input VCP is pointed at either:
- USB GPS device NMEA output typcially configured for COM3 or
- ruggedized EVDO\1xrtt modem attached to physical serial port COM1
- Whenever GPSGate loses "sight" of the GPS device\driver and GPSGate threfore goes red, CPU utilitzation goes to 100%
- Scenarios under which this occurs are:

GPS USB device physically removed from USB port
GPS serial device physically removed from serial port
GPSGate input intentionally configured to point to a COM port with no GPS device attached
[/*][/list] As long as the Gate is green when the APps are listening and a valid NMEA stream is passing through - CPU utilization is fine. AS long as GPSGate is yellow - CPU util is fine.

We are also experiencing the strange behavior described in the forum below where, when we intentionally delete all GPSGate COM port configurations and pointers or GPSGate is initially not configured for any input ports - it then locks on COM1 during OS startup (which in our case = an EVDO based wireless network aircard operating within a ruggedized cable modem).

This also results in a red gate until the modem is attached (of course) and 100% CPU utilization.

http://franson.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2589&SearchTerms=cpu,utilization

Thx in advance for your help.

johan
GpsGate

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:17 pm

And when you try GpsGate 2.5?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

ch1nmuzak

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:34 am

Originally posted by johan

And when you try GpsGate 2.5?

Regards,
Johan

Franson Support

ch1nmuzak

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:03 am

We tried the new version of GPSGate - v 2.5. Unfortunately - we can't say anything yet about whether it has 100% GPU utilization issues in our environment - becasue the we cannot get it past the point where it is communicating with the EVDO modem's serial device driver. GPSGAte v2.5 can't get out of a red gate state when pointing to out EVDO modem.

Meanwhile the old v 1.10 Gate works fine, in terms of getting up and running + green with exactly theh same hardware configruation. It just gives 100% utilization anytime the EVDO modem is physically disconnected.

With v 2.5 we appear to be in exactly the same situation we were in 16 months ago with the old v 1.10f Gate when we couldn't get it to talk to either our newer TripNav nor our Sierrra Wireless 1xRtt or EVDO modem drivers. Prior to you introducing a "Serial device driver communications mode detection" patch in v1.10h\i

Those conversation streams have been sent to you - along with the histoical GPSGate v 1.10e\f debug trace logs you used to resolve that problem.

Pls send me a debug version of GPSGate v 2.5 if you require similar logs to be generated for the new version in order to resolve this low level device communications problem.

ch1nmuzak

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:19 am

Historical GPSGate v 1.10f + i debug trace logs + conversation streams used to address GPSGate serial device driver interaction issues have been sent to you.

Pls take a look and let me know if you want me to install a debug version of GPSGate v2.5 and send you a trace log of its interaction with the EVDO modem's driver.

Return to “GpsGate Client 1.10”